Superfetch

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi,

I'm helping a friend with an unstable OS Vista 64 sp2.

The machine would be ok for a few minutes, then doing anything would cause the hdd light to stay on constantly. With hdd constantly on, you just could not use the machine.

Some research suggested disable 'Superfetch', tried it & now it's well behaved machine.

Is there something else to look at, that's causing havoc with Superfetch. Or is this just a problem with Vista?

I also disabled Search

Thanks
    Rico

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Do not disable superfetch. Those articles that talk about it are idiotic.

Disabling search is fine.

Open up the task manager and set it to monitor disk IO as well. See if anything starts spiking.

What are the specs on this machine? Is there a page file? Could be pagefile thrashing.

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Hungry,

I had Superfetch service set to Manual.

Starting Superfetch causes 100% ON Hdd lite. System slows to molasses, type speed.

Page file = system managed

Viewing resource monitor, disc, could not ID what was causing, constant on hdd light. Also at one point (on hdd light) the window was almost empty

It's a HP Pavilion, AMD phenom X4, Vista 64 bit SP2, with 6 GB ram, Nvidia MediaShield mirrored RAID

4. Hungry Man

If you have 6GB of RAM you may want to try disabling the page file entirely... leave superfetch as "automatic" in the end it will significantly reduce disk IO and increase performance

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Try no page file & superfetch = auto <reboot>

The above equals constant hdd light & slow system. Thus elminating thrashing page file. I did see one service (what it is, not sure, likely superfetch) which had 686,000,000, whatever the units are.

Something is causing superfetch to behave abnormally? Would sfc /scannow or windows repair fix?

Rico

6. Hungry Man

Could be a HDD issue... or a RAM issue... or an OS issue...

idk!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.