SuperAntiSpyware?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sooflymami, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

does it let u delete cookies and advertisements and stuff just like what Ad-Aware program does? I'm trying to think if I should get it in replace of Ad-Aware or not.

2. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

SAS deletes only things that are dangerous and must be deleted. It is not a cookie catcher or a MRU list cleaner like Ad-aware.

In other words, SAS is a serious tool ;)

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I installed SAS a couple of weeks ago and have run it a few times now. Still has not found anything. Nada. Zilch. That is probably less of a reflection on SAS than it is on the effectiveness of my firewall and computing habits.

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Ya, SAS is serious enough, not only deletes cookies, but also catches many other evils.

On my box, it catches nothing but tracking cookies, after I surf NET in normal mode. ---this means that my box is constantly clean, or should say the SBIE is working great to protect , whereas in Shadow mode, shadow apps just take care of it.

It is long overdue to make a wise switch, but not too late yet, welcome aboard onto SAS. ;)

5. muf

muf Registered Member

You need to try SuperAdBlocker. It's from the same company. It uses SuperAntispyware and eliminates adverts and popups. May be more like what you are looking for.

http://www.superadblocker.com/

muf

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

The program provides a list of the scan results and allows you to choose whether you want to ignore the items or remove them.

7. sooflymami

I'm confused because some people tell me that SAS scans for cookies and advertisements and other people tells me that program doesn't do that. And is that program safe like it shouldn't crash my computer or anything?

8. HURST

HURST Registered Member

It scans for cookies as far as i can remember (not a cookie in months, since I set up firefox to delete cookies when I close it), but i'm not 100% sure about this.

It is safe. But some malware can make it crash during a scan if you leave "terminate memory threads before quarantining" checked.

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I had an odd incident when I first used SAS on a computer. I had an infection and when I tried to scan it with SAS, the scan process froze and stopped on one file and did not go any further. My AVIRA program generated a popup about the infection at that point. It appeared to be some kind of deadlock between the AV and AS programs when I started the scan. The tech support at SAS told me to turn off the AV program before beginning the SAS scan.

10. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

Yes it does scan for all kinds of stuff, but it will only choose to remove the ones that really pose a threat.

It scans files, registry and memory, so it is better to scan in safe mode with all browsers off.
    I haven't experienced any crashes yet, it runs very smoothly.

Actually SAS was able to detect and remove the trojan that would load the Win32.IRCbot virus on a system. Rest of the virus went away with CureIt. So it allready has helped me once :)

The people in SAS's forum are quite helpfull too.

11. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

You're absolutely right. Turn this program loose on a computer infested with all kinds of crapware and you'd see what it can do. I clean badly infested computers on a regular basis, and you'd be amazed at what this program can do. I've seen it clean junk that some of the best other programs could not. The others could detect it but not clean it. SAS is one of the best apps for cleaning that I've ever seen, and I've used all of them at one time or another.

12. sooflymami

Is SAS easy to use just like Ad-Aware? And do u think it shouldn't detect any important files and it shouldn't delete those important files?

13. AKAJohnDoe

Why do you not just download it, install it, and try it?

14. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

Yep give it a go and tell us if you liked it :)

15. sooflymami

ok and by the way does anybody use AIM messenger who could help me?

16. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

cheater87 also uses SAS. Just install it and if you have any questions just post in this thread or create a new thread at the SAS Forum.

thanatos

17. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

SAS is very good at what it does - but it's not good at all for detecting/removing adware tracking cookies.

I have licenses for both SASPro and SuperAdBlocker, but I run only SASPro in real-time protection mode.

My most effective tool I've found for blocking adware tracking cookies is Online Armor. OA will automatically detect the most obvious bad actors, such as doubleclick and harvest.adgardener variants, and prompt for blocking.

The OA 'My Web Sites' page displays all of the adware server sites and their status. Just right-click on the adware server sites and block them. At last count I have 28 adware server sites blocked. Just be certain that you're blocking only ad servers (Google when in doubt).

That still leaves annoying ads delivered by adobe flash player. These can be halted by disabling JavaScript in FireFox/Tools/Options/Content page.

I'm not aware of a better solution.

18. AKAJohnDoe

The FlashBlock and/or NoScript add-ons to Firefox. Set Firefox to clear private data at exit. Add to that AdBlockPlus with the EasyListUSA subscription and you are home free.

19. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Hello,
    I tried SAS and finally decided to uninstall it, because it was not a value added application compared to spybot (for example)...

I will add to your comment : SAS is not good at all regarding uninstall wizard...
    I installed on 2 pc at home (1 labtop and one PC), 1 labtop at work and 1 collegue of mine installed it on his PC... I can assure you that for all of the configurations mentions above (with XP pro), uninstallation is not working at all, using uninstall wizard !!! Try it, you will see... !!!

Good luck !

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I've never had a problem uninstalling SuperAntiSpyware, but in any case I highly recommend Revo Uninstaller. After an application's uninstall has completed Revo will search the hard drive and cleanup any bits and pieces that were missed.

21. AKAJohnDoe

I also uninstalled SAS recently, simply because it was never finding anything (not a problem with the program, there is nothing for it to find).

As for the uninstall, I give it a 77 on my 100 point scale. It uninstalls fairly well, but left quite a bit behind. Specifically:
    • A directory under program files
    • A directory under program data
    • A directory under the Apps directory under the user account directory
    • The Start Menu shortcuts
    • Three hidden device drivers
    • Unable to determine if there are additional modules left behind under the Windows directories as I neglected to take a "before" for comparison

It should be noted that in the subcategory of security/firewall/AV/AS/System Tools (i.e.: not applications), a 77 is pretty good. Comodo, for example gets a 21, Norton a 33, and so forth. All highly subjective, but it is my scale, so I can assign whatever numbers I see fit.

22. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

We also have the SUPERAntiSpyware Uninstallation Assistant here:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/downloads/SASUNINST.EXE

That will remove any traces left behind and do a complete uninstall - sometimes the Windows Installer does not fully remove items on the first pass so we created the uninstallation assistant - most companies create these types of apps for their products.

23. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

24. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Well,
    Something I forgot to say : I'm speaking about french OS Windows XP pro... All of my PC are french OK... Maybe it is the problem ?
    Regards

25. AKAJohnDoe

I did not know about this. It would most likely bump up that arbitrary score I assign! After all, the 33 I gave Norton is after using their special uninstall!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.