Superantispyware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by webster, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webster

webster Registered Member

A new spywarescanner, from the makers of SuperAdblocker http://www.superantispyware.com/

Check this out. In my tests, it completely removed Errorsafe/Winfixer, MSN+ Lop sponsor, and SpyFalcon. It even removed icons and shortcuts.

Very impressive :)

2. voirdire

voirdire Registered Member

Class program.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I ran SUPERAntiSpyware too without finding anything.
    I don't understand why this new scanner is so impressive. It's just the nth AS scanner in a row.
    Maybe the removal of the detected malware was impressive, better than some other scanners do. In that case you are right. Maybe I have to live more dangerous on the internet, because all my scanners bore me to death and don't find anything since I joined Wilders.

Although ZeroSpyware (ZS) didn't find anything either on my computer, I was more impressed by ZS than SUPERAntiSpyware, because ZS does alot more than SUPERAntiSpyware.

4. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

It looks good here too. I ran it and it detected a couple of rogue cookies and nothing else, which is exactly right. It's a relief to run a new antispyware app and not end up with loads of false positives. Definitely one for the anti-crapware toolkit.

5. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

is the free version of this antispyware a good antispyware to use in my arsenal of security:D obviously it is only scan and not realtime protection maybe it would find things others don't?:)

6. webster

webster Registered Member

Believe me. This is not "just another spywarescanner". The detection and removal capabilities of this scanner, are sensational IMHO.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Anybody else have experience with this? Thanks.

8. muf

muf Registered Member

Well, ok. I installed it. I just can't help trying out new apps :)

I already am a registered user of SuperAdBlocker(same company), which incidently has an Antispyware module built in. Nothing close to the level of customisation that this dedicated version has, but it uses the same definition set. It is more a preventer than a cleaner, where as this dedicated version is a cleaner as well as a preventer. Installed easy enough, doesn't use too much resource and is nice looking, easy to navigate and change settings etc. Scan speed is not the fastest but it is not slow. Didn't find anything, which is a nice change from the usual "We will tell you that you are infected just so we get your money off you" type of software that is out there. Didn't notice any slowdown as well, which is nice. I am going to run this software and give it a go. I'm not the safest surfer in the world(if you know what i mean :) ) so it should be interesting to see how if does. So far it looks really good and it looks like i'll enjoy trialling this one :).

muf

9. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Hello all, Nick Skrepetos here from SUPERAntiSpyware.com. If any of you have any questions regarding the product, technology, etc. I am more than happy to answer them, or questions regarding new spyware, etc.

I realize people think "oh great, another scanner" - but as you will see (actually I hope you won't be infected with the new nasties we are finding) that we can detect and remove many infections that others can't touch as of yet.

We are seeing enormous growth in the rootkit/kernel driver and user mode hooking spyware applications. These applications are the ones that filter the file system and registry so that items can't be "seen" or removed easily. Standard anti-spyware applications won't be able to touch these, as they won't see them.

There is a whole new breed of spyware applications that are coming out, and I think we are only starting to see the tip of the iceberg so to speak. Our product is not purely "rules" based - we can often detect and defeat infections that we have yet to "see" first hand.

I am open to any and all suggestions for the product, as well as open to helping anyone that has an infection that can't be removed. We also have a free site FileResearchCenter.com (http://www.fileresearchcenter.com) that has a database of over 10,000 processes, etc. and allows you to view what is running, both good and bad, at any time using FireFox or IE.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com
    http://www.superantispyware.com

10. Spyros

Spyros Registered Member

Question:
    It found TASKMGR.COM on my system.According to your FileResearchCenter site this is Worm.Bereb.Process. Why doesn't any of the scanners on Jotti identify it as infected - and neither do: ad-aware, ewido, nod32 which are on my system? An FP perhaps?

11. ErikAlbert

12. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

13. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

We are seeing several TASKMGR.COM's that are malware and others that are not. It seems the ones from Win2000 machines are not (as far as the samples we have analyzed). Please feel free to e-mail the files at nicks at superantispyware.com and I will check them out personally and post back my results.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Can the on-demand scan speed be improved a lot?

The GUI is nice and very easy to use, but the speed is very poor...

I'm using the free version...

15. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Btw, I have a question about Super AdBlocker, why does it wants to install a service and driver, add several autostart entries, and inject code into all processes,? Is this all really necessary for an ad blocker? :rolleyes:

16. ErikAlbert

I hesitate to suggest any improvements on SUPERAntiSpyware at Wilders.
    I remember, what has been told in this topic recently.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=122993
    For suggestions and improvements, you have to contact SUPERAntiSpyware directly is my understanding.
    Not that I totally agree with this, but rules are rules.

17. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Super Ad Blocker has as service that is used to terminate spyware process as it runs as a "SYSTEM" user and thus has debug privledges and temrination rights even if the main process does not. Often this is the only way to terminate some applications.

The driver(s) are used to delete spyware when the system starts up as it is a kernel mode driver that starts before anything else (right after the disk subsystem) starts so files can't be locked or blocked. We have to do this as many spyware applications remove the pending file rename operations key that are used by Windows to delete and/or rename files on reboot. We also have a driver used to enumerate system handles, again to block spyware applications.

We do have a system hook that is injected in to process to detect mouse clicks and non-IE Internet Explorer Server windows such as those in Outlook, Yahoo Messenger, etc. so that ads will be blocked, but legitmate clicks of the mouse will not be blocked.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like further explanation. I am happy to answer any questions.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpware.com / SUPERAdBlocker.com

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

ErikAlbert,

as you can see, SuperAntiSpyware.com will not take my suggestion in count, so will not have any problem with the restricted policy of this Forum... :D

Regards

19. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

VaMPiRiC_CRoW,

At no time did anyone from SUPERAntiSpyware.com say they would not take any suggestion for our product(s) into account. I just saw your post and was forming a reply.

Our scanning speed may be a bit slower than others (many scanners take longer and miss installed spyware), especially if you are running concurrent AntiVirus or AntiSpyware products that may be scanning each file as we open it to scan. We also have a different view on scanning speed - ask yourself this:

If a violent criminal was at large in your city, would you want the police to simply look in "known locations" for the criminal or seach the entire city systematically? Since we focus on getting the spyware that others miss, and the new nasties that most software won't touch - we have chosen to be thorough in our scans.

Once a system is clean, and real-time protection is active, the user should have have to scan all the time. You can also exclude folders and alter the scanning options if you wish to improve the scanning speed.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Nick Skrepetos,

Since you replied to anewer post and not to mine first, I concluded that...

Why NOD32 have scans faster than BitDefender, for example?
    Maybe BD will have more unpackers, etc... Don't know about the current version of both, but I think that the program code of NOD32 is better designed!

Maybe I'm wrong...

I always disabled my AV when using another on-demand scan, to improve the speed...

I have enabled the "Ignore files larger than 4MB" and "Ignore non-executable files", but SA scans a .iso file with 690MB, and I had to reset my system!
    After my system startup, I tried again and didn't have this issue...

I saw the topic on dslreports, and seems that this is not another AS program, so thanks ;)

Regards

21. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

If you check the option "Ignore non-executable types" it should not scan an ISO image. That should have been skipped if you had the skip over 4MB files set. I will check that out. Thanks for the report.

I think people will see that SUPERAntiSpyware is not just "another entry" into the game - I have been developing software for over 24 years commercially.

Our focus it to get the items that others miss and concentrate on the "tough" items like the ones we are seeing in our lab.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

22. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I have emailed support a few times to ask some questions and during business hours it has taken no longer than 5-7 minutes. I thought this was pretty amazing.

Thanks,

Chris

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

This is my SA configuration for on-demand:
    http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/640/sa17co.th.png
    http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8016/sa20ce.th.png

I have problems with SA again. I didn't want that SA scans my D:\, but it scans a .zip file with 260MB. Something is wrong with the options.
    When SA started to scan this file, it use all my RAM(521MB) and Virtual Memory(1,2GB). I tried to kill the AS process without success, and then I had to reset my system again... :(

Nick, if you want more information, I will contact you by email...

When you release a new signatures update, the free users will have it at the same time of the paid users?

Regards

24. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Go ahead and e-mail me at nicks at superantispyware.com and we will figure out what is happening on your system. This seems to be a unique situation and I realize this forum is not the place to track this down.

The Professional version has priority on the update server which includes definitions and they are metered out as with any mass update server, so the Professional users would receive them first.

We have a new alert system that will be included in a future release to alert of "high-risk" threats (user option of course) so users can manually check for updates at that time.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

25. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Mail sent.

Thanks for the info ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.