SuperantiSpyware Program??

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sooflymami, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

I am thinking of getting Superantispyware program but I dont want to uninstall Ad-Aware because that program deletes the advertisements and stuff and I still like using that program..Can I still use both? It shouldn't mess up my computer or anything?

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Download the trial and judge for yourself.
    I do not expect any probs.
    Cheers,

Gerard

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I do`t remember if AdAware has real time protection or not. It has been many years since I last used it. If used for on demand scanning only there should be no conflicts.

4. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

The free version is on-demand only.

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Thank You Xenephobe. That has not changed then since the past versions I had used.

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Both AdAware and Superantispyware are available as free (demand only scanners) and paid versions (resident, or realtime capability).
    You can have as many demand scanners as you want. I wouldn't run a scan with more than one at a time, though.
    If you're talking about running two realtime scanners, you might have problems.
    Is it AdAware2007 or SE (or pro) you're using? (In other words, old or new AdAware, paid or free?)

7. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

Yes, I'm using the Ad-Aware 2007

8. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Yes, you can use both, however SAS detects "advertisements and stuff" in addition to actual malware that can harm your OS. In a nutshell you can safely uninstall Ad-Aware (AAW) and get rid of its lingering service..

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

IMO, Ad-Aware is no longer useful. Whenever I'm involved in a discussion about AA, I always recommend removing it and replacing it with SAS. Unlike SAS, if a user has a serious malware problem, I haven't read of AA doing the job (removing major league garbage and restoring things back to normal) within the last couple of years.

As for minor things like cookies and such, SAS covers those very well. And icing on the cake is that free SAS does all this without running a full time service (which AA 2007 does.)

10. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I used SAS to clean up my sons PC in the past, and I can tell you it was my first choice over programs like AA, Spybot, and Spyware Terminator. As far as RealTime protection, if SAS works as claimed it should have the edge over those three in that department too.

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I have both Ad-aware and SUPERantispyware installed on a laptop and desktop with no issues. They are the non-realtime resident versions though so there is no issue with conflicts involving realtime monitoring. Antispyware programs, unlike a firewall or resident AV program, should not embed itself deep into the Operating System. So they should present less of a problem on your system (of course, it all depends on what memory locations they reference while running inside the PC and if it they should intersect, you usually get a BSOD or an abrupt termination of a program).

12. ceramictiles

ceramictiles Registered Member

[I have just downloaded SUPERantispayware
    Run it
    Shuts my computer down half way through scan
    Tryed it three times does the same every time.
    Any help will be welcomed

13. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Hello ceramictiles.
    What operating system, CPU, RAM, and what other security applications are running (AV, Firewall, any other antispyware resident etc) ?
    User or admin account?
    Disk capacity/space used?

14. ceramictiles

Thanks for reply
    Ram
    No spyware running
    User account

15. ceramictiles

Sorry very new at computers
    Thanks for your help

16. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

You don't know your operating system, or how to find that info?
    Is it your own computer?

17. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

That last may have come across as a bit accusatory; not the intention.
    Just want to know where we're starting from.

18. ceramictiles

Thanks Tarq57
    Running windows 2000
    It all started with paramter incorrect when starting up
    c:windows\ sytem32\drivers\ntndis.exe opened up when trying to start some programes

19. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Sorry to tell you this, but you've got a possibly serious problem. This is a backdoor worm called W32/Rbot.
    From the Prevx info site:
    And if you don't know much about computers, fixing it is likely to be difficult.
    There probably isn't going to be an easy straightforward "click-on-this-to-fix" type program that will do it.
    If you don't know how to modify/delete registry values, restart in safe mode or change user accounts you may be best to save (backup) the data you don't want to loose to a different media (external drive or flash drive), reformat the disk and reinstall Windows.
    If you want to have a crack at fixing it (which is possible) try posting to a forum that specializes in this type of removal. Look here to see a few of these forums. There are many more.
    First thing to do if you can or know how, is reinstall Superantispyware on an admin account (uninstall it from your account first) then update it, then reboot into safe mode and try scanning again.

Actually the first thing to do is backup any data you aren't happy to loose.

20. ceramictiles

Thanks Tarq57
    I will try what you recommended.
    You have been very helpful.
    I hope one day I can return the same help when I get as good as you
    Regards
    Ceramictiles

YOU ARE THR MAN
    CHEERS

21. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

As good as me? :eek:
    About three years ago I was where you are now.
    Only the name of the infection was different.
    PM me in future, interested to know how you get on with this.
    And if I (or anyone) can help with any more specific questions right now, don't hesitate.
    PS, it may be advisable to email any friends (from another computer) that were on your address list on your email program and let them know about this infection. Only polite, really.

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I guess a couple of years ago I ditched both Spybot, and AdAware. In my view they just take up space, and are not nearly as good as the top AS applications, such as SAS, a-squared, and AVG.

I have not missed them and they never found anything anyway.

Best,
    Jerry

23. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Sounds like you are infected - some of the infections (rootkits) have badly written kernel drivers that cause our 4.0 kernel service a problem because of the way they interact - this is resolved in our upcoming 4.1 version. For now, simply uncheck the Kernel direct options under the scanning control tab of SUPERAntiSpyware and complete the scanning and cleaning process, you should have no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.