superantispyware memory/cpu usage problem

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by geepondy, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geepondy

geepondy Registered Member

I run Superantispyware along with Zone Alarm Security Suite on my XP Pro computer that has 2 Gig of memory. Recently I noticed a problem with superantispyware. When I boot up the pc, it initially starts up using about 35meg of memory but slowly ramps up it's usage so that after a day or so, it's over 100 meg. Not only that but it is spiking the CPU at a constant rate of about once a second with a 6-10 percent hit. When I disable the real time protection, the CPU hit goes away but none of the memory is given back. Under task manager I have disabled all the programs running under my name (only user) and some of the system ones as well and the problem does not go away. I haven't loaded any new programs recently save Steam and Half Life 2 but when I disable Steam the problem doesn't go away so I don't think that is it. I am not sure how long I had this problem but I don't think it was there when I initially loaded the program a couple of months ago. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

That issue is supposed to be fixed in the upcoming 4.0 release. :)

3. geepondy

Do we know when that might be?

4. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I am running version 4.0 (SAS build 1050) realtime and memory use is steady.
    Final release date unknown, but my personal guess is within a week. (pure speculation)

Gerard

5. geepondy

Thank you for your posts. The funny thing is, this didn't occur at first unless I missed it so if a bug, I think it would have started from day one of installation. The way the CPU spikes, it's like a program is trying to constantly go thru it like something repeated trying to access the Internet only I don't notice the same behavior from Zone Alarm.

6. geepondy

I have read more on the superantispyware forums and it seems they claim the CPU spiking is "normal" and doesn't slow down your system as it's only accessing the CPU for a few milliseconds at a time but I don't like it as I've never had another program do so when idle so I do indeed hope it is fixed. I cannot find any posts on the memory leak though. I do indeed hope this is a bug and fixable otherwise I'll be forced to stop using Superantispyware.

I am tempted to submit a trouble ticket but if the 4.0 release is imminent perhaps I'll wait a week or two.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I don't notice any slowdown after start up, and whatever SAS does for almost a minute, although I have never timed it. At start it almost freezes my system until SAS smooths out. After that all is well, but it is annoying, and as a result I am using it as on demand, and using AVGAS to start with Windows.

I will be pleased if V4 changes something to make SAS start and smooth out in a few seconds like AVGAS.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. geepondy

I have been conversing with SAS tech support. Definitely a bug in the memory creepage problem. With real-time protection enabled, it creeps up at 4k intervals every three or four seconds. With real-time disabled, it does not. But here is the funny thing. At his suggestion I uninstalled and reinstalled the program. I initially did not allow it to do updates and with real-time protection enabled, I did not have the memory creepage problem. But then when I allowed it to do the updates, the creepage problem was back. How strange, I thought the updates, only updated the definitions, not the core program.

Anybody else experience this memory creepage problem? I run it with Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.