SUPERAntiSpyware 3.7 + slowdowns

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Don Pelotas, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

The latest SAS pro is causing quite severe slowdowns beyond the already noted "slightly" longer bootup/shutdown..................it's not slightly on my pc, it is loooong, are anyone else seeing the same? Even the normal operation/feel of the pc is noticably slower with 3.7 compared to 3.6.

In my case not even turning off the real-time protection helps any and the slow shutdown is even noticable after removing 3.7, only after cleaning leftovers off did it return to normal.

I'm not on a witchhunt and SAS is not a critical program in my setup so it's off for now, i'm just interested if other SAS pro users are seeing it? :)

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello Don,
    I am seeing the same thing.
    the pc is quite a bit slower at loading up and logged offf since the install of sas pro 3.7
    your not alone.....
    lodore

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Pure speculation on my part, but aren't both of you are running KIS? Could it be an interaction between it and SAS Pro?

4. Don Pelotas

No....at least not in my case, it exist with or without KIS. :)

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

plus your using 7.0.60 beta and im using 6.0.614
    lodore

6. Don Pelotas

Yes, i am, but the slowdowns are there even after cleaning both off the pc and reinstalling SAS 3.7 clean...............first when i noticed it, it was just updated via the updater.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i always update via the updator and it happerned since i updated via updator this time.
    hopefully nick and his team can fix this problem
    lodore

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I just did a little investigation here at work. We have 3 PCs with SAS Pro on them. One was already updated and the other 2 were not.

Before I updated one of them, I timed the boot. Then I updated to 3.7 and re-booted. The new boot time was only just a few seconds longer than before (10 to 15.) So whatever may be happening to you guys, I don't believe I'm seeing it. Or at least not much...

Don, I'm sure you noticed the new First Chance Startup/Shutdown Scan and the warning that it does take more time to accomplish these tasks. Could this still be the source of your slow boots/shutdowns? (I know you said you disabled the real-time scanner.)

Attached Files:

9. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

I also had significant start-up slowdown with SAS. The trick is to disable SAS WinLogon file (SASWINLO.dll) from starting. I did this via a program called Ace Utilities and the slow start-up immediately went away.

p.s. also a KIS user

10. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

You don't need to disable the WinLogon - and should not, that is key to removing stubborn infections.

Under the First Chance Prevention, uncheck the Services scanning, that is what is taking the time - we have that ON by default as many infections (rootkits) have services that we can remove before they take hold of the system.

If a product such as NIS or KAS is using a Filter Driver, they might be filtering the services as we scan them on bootup or shut down and that could be causing a perceived "slowdown".

This only is in SUPERAntiSpyware Professional, the Free Edition does not have First Chance Prevention.

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Since your of a mind to experiment right now, why not try the free version and see what happens.

12. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

The SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition does not have the First Chance Prevention enabled.....

13. The Hammer

I know but Don said he turned off real time protection and it didn't help. Just a shot in the dark.

14. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Real-Time Protection and First Chance Prevention are two separate systems and operate independently of each other.

15. The Hammer

I should have paid more attention to the screen shot in post #8, but perhaps Don was including First Chance in his original post. I guess well have to wait for him to return to know.

16. Don Pelotas

I didn't try without First Chance Prevention, that was the one thing i didn't try.................murphy's law i guess! :D

In any event, the slowdowns are not just perceived, it litterally hangs during shutdowns and bootup is almost an extra minute. I will try without First Chance Prevention next time i install 3.7. :)

17. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

My educated "hunch" is that it is the services scanning - especially if you have other security software - try just unchecking the services scanning on startup, under First Chance Prevention.

18. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I have both KIS 6.0.2.621 & SAS Pro 3.7.1018 installed. With FCP disabled it takes 12 seconds for my pc to shut down, then it takes 55 seconds for the desktop to completely load and the hourglass to go away. With FCP enabled it adds 15 seconds to each one according to my watch. I don't restart often so this is not a big deal. :D

Is the 1 minute thing an exaggeration?

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  19. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Mmm, well I have SAS in a virtual machine and everything was running peachy. Took the update and now login and shutdown have slowed.
    Tried deselecting first chance prevension with no difference!
    For now gone back a version.

20. Don Pelotas

Seems like like a good hunch, i'll try that the next time i install it, it was the one thing i didn' try.....i sort of missed the fact that FPC & the real-time protection was seperate. :)

Again, i'm on no witchhunt............just interested to see if others saw the same as me, which they are not in the same degree.

To lodore, no i wasn't exaggerating.

21. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Which options did you uncheck? If you turn off First Chance Prevention our startup scanner does nothing at startup and/or shutdown.

22. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi Nick, yeah sure. First thing I thought of was unchecking FCP, but nothing altered.
    I'll finish things off by taking the update again and let you know.

23. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I brought my laptops into work today and updated both to SAS Pro 3.7.

With the First Chance scanner on and the "Scan system services" enabled, boot/shutdown times did increase around 20 to 30 seconds longer (it was not exactly the same each time) than it was with 3.6. With the "Scan system services" disabled (which was the default setting), boot/shutdown times were unchanged from 3.6.

Throughout this process, I left all my other security apps set as normal. So at with this all in mind, the additional boot/shutdown time versus the additional security offered is a trade-off I can live with... :)

24. seadog

seadog Registered Member

I am running SAS pro 3.7, NOD32 & Comodo firewall. With all options in First Chance Prevention enabled I experienced
    30 second slow down at shut down & a 60 second slow down at boot. I am now running with only First Chance scan at boot up checked & all is back to normal. 60 second boot & 15 second shut down. It did take several reboots to get back to normal after unchecking scan at shut down & scan system services.

25. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

As a NIS 2007.2 user along with SAS Pro, I set up First Chance Prevention in SAS to only scan on shutdown. That way I get the NIS 2007.2 test/scan on startup and the SAS Pro FCP test/scan on shutdown....following the "multi-layered" concept :D. Shutdown is delayed ~15 seconds (with Services checked too) and reboot is no different than before FCP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.