super speed cable?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by bigc73542, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Just wondering: what is it with you people that you're all so focused on...
    s.......p.......e.......e.......d.....?

regards,
    the turtle ;)

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Ahhhh the old Tortes and the Hare story ;) :D

Regards,

The Hare ;) :D

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

well its just nice to know we are getting what we are paying for. Also, it lets us know if we have our equipment and settings right. Sometimes its hard to tell any other way because you don't know for sure if its a problem on your end or the other end.

Still...i wouldn't mind if could beat Q just to show him!!!

-HandsOff

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

my cable company has three plus megs available but it cost a bit more than my 1.5meg so I'm happy with my speed now. It is supposed to be 1.5 but most of the time it runs up at about 1.8. I can live with that.

5. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Right.
    My idea. :)

And @ Blackspear:
    You just can't resist eh? Keep on trying, mr. hare....just stay stubborn then hahaha see you at the finish line (wherever that may be)
    grtz,
    turtle ;)

6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Yeah, my ISP here in Singapore says that their broadband cable service speed is 1.5mbps. But, it's faster than they claim. My computer says:
    Local Area Connection 2
    Speed: 12 mbps
    The highest speed this ISP can go is at 30mbps( depending on cable modem and network conditions.) Now, that's faster than an ethernet connection at 10mbps!
    To the best of my knowledge, cable broadband runs on DOCSIS technology. I'm sure some people know what it means. My ISP runs on DOCSIS 2.0, which is a faster kind of cable technology, therefore making the overall network faster.

7. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

From my ISP:
    Its not about having dedicated access. Its about who can give you the highest download speed to do more.
    Thousands in Singapore today enjoy high-speed broadband Internet access at home through either cable (MaxOnline) or asymmetrical digital subscriber line (ADSL) network. The two types of networks are often compared in terms of the bandwidth capabilities each enables, i.e. ‘shared’ vs ‘dedicated.’

As StarHub operates both cable (MaxOnline) and ADSL networks to serve our broad spectrum of customers, we are objective in our choice of technology in order to meet the needs of our end users. While the two types of networks provide the same basic function of transmitting data, each uses a different broadband technology. MaxOnline transmits data over an advanced broadband architecture known as hybrid fiber coaxial (HFC) while DSL transmits data via phone lines.

Q. Is ADSL a faster connectivity compared to cable?
    A. All our StarHub’s MaxOnline products offer “always on” unlimited access. Our MaxOnline 3000 product is the one with the highest download speed in Singapore for residential broadband, up to 3Mbps (3000Kbps), while ADSL plans in the market can only provide lower download bandwidths. Will access speed drop when there are more subscribers in my estate, inclusive of Cable Television subscribers?
    Cable companies can segment their network for the provisioning of multiple services by assigning dedicated frequencies for the delivery of video, data and voice services without conflict nor compromise on quality. Additional bandwidths are also reserved for future generation of services.

Since cable services use distinctly different channels, you can watch StarHub CableTV, talk on the phone, and surf the Net simultaneously without experiencing service or speed degradation.

StarHub’s network is highly scalable. We are also closely monitoring our network performance continuously, and we will optimise any part of our network by proactively refining the respective network elements should we see signs of excessive traffic build-up in time to come.

Q. What is the difference between Cable and ADSL?
    A. Cable and ADSL are two different kinds of broadband access technologies. While ADSL modems use existing phone lines to transmit data, cable modems transmit data via StarHub’s network is built on an advanced broadband architecture known as hybrid fibre coaxial (HFC).

With ADSL modems, each home has an unshielded twisted copper pair to the local area telephone exchange. For StarHub’s MaxOnline, all homes are directly linked to our regional and central facilities, which is the equivalent of our competitor's local area telephone exchange.

As highlighted in many technical publications such as DSL Forum, ADSL access speeds are dependent on the length of connection between the customer and the local area telephone exchange or the telephone company’s central office. Hence, ADSL technology is distance sensitive and works best within the 18,000 feet mark. In comparison, the cable network does not face the challenge of distance.

ADSL network uses telephone copper lines which are unshielded media and are subject to external radio interferences that can adversely affect the access speeds. ADSL users are required to install a micro filter device to counter the transmission impairment due to signal interferences. Cable network on the other hand, employs shielded coaxial cables that are more effective in preventing external radio interferences and there is no need for cable users to invest in noise filtering devices.

8. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

what Nadirah said!

also, if you have a cell phone and you choose cable you have the option of cancelling your old fashioned phone. Considering the attitude of my local phone company, it was a pleasure to drop them.

I would be interested to know your upload speed Nadirah. This is because I am not sure why cable uploads are so slow. Is it an artificial limit imposed in order to wring more money out of suscribers? ( my upload speed is 255 kbs)I've heard in the case of dsl there are valid technological reasons for the difference.

I used to have dsl. when i first got it it had download speeds of 8+ mbs. this is because i am just down the street from the main phone company stations for our area. Quickly, the phone company resolved that "problem" by installing a limiter to 3 mbs. after a while I guess they thought that was being to nice, so they installed another limiter droping it to 1.5 mbs. I am not sure of the logic behind their move, but to spend time and money to make your custormers get lower performance seems a little mean-spirited to me. Anyway, I like cable better.

Pardon the rant!

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.