Super Size Me

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by bigbuck, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Just watched this film http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2004/08/18/super_size_me_2004_review.shtml and think I've been turned off McDonalds for life.
    It took this guy over a year to shed the 25lbs he gained during one month....and return to some semblance of health! Ouch!
    http://www.mercola.com/2005/mar/5/super_size_me.htm

http://www.mercola.com/images/blog/2005/03/supersizeme.jpg

2. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

I watched the movie a few months ago, and it really makes you think. I think most fast food places provide very unhealthy food. Here in North America Buck, we have an alarming rate of childhood obesity. At least Mickey D's (or Rotten Ron's if you perfer) is adding a little more healthy choices...even if it's because of the pressure.

3. dog

dog Guest

Thankfully ... I didn't watch the movie ... as it most likely would've made me sick :p

Seeing as I don't need any motivation to be turned off McDonald's as I wouldn't ever eat it anyway :D (nor would I consume anything from any other fast food joint) ... there would be absolutely no reason to endure it. But I guess I'm glad the movie was made because even the though the message that fast food is extremely unhealthy is fairly regularly hammered home, it doesn't seem to have much of an affect. :doubt: So throwing out another message is a good thing. ;)

I wonder when it was in the theatres - How many people sat gorging on a nice big ex-large bucket of butter (opps I meant popcorn :blink: ) :doubt:

Unfortunately, the hurried lifestyles of many is the leading reason for societies poor health. Many rely completely on the pre-made meal, whether it'd be fast food, pre-packaged goods from the local grocer, junk food etc ... it's all they consume. It just doesn't end. Eating out in general is unhealthy, even five star restaurants serve over sized portions, that are generally also high in fat, sugar and salt. One of the worse side effects of restaurant eating is it tends to influence our portion size at home ... I'd ramble on ... but no one wants to be preached to ... so I'll stop ... sorry for the tirade. ;)

Good Health to All

*puppy*

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It's a sign of the times. Husband and wife both work, leave the kids at day care centers, and work twelve hours a day. No time for cooking, they hit the fast food joints.

Too bad there isn't one called Healthy Ben's or something like that, serving healthy food to go.

5. bigbuck

Attached Files:

6. dog

dog Guest

Hehehehe ... a picture has a thousand words ... and that picture says it all BB :D

Nope ... there's nothing at all wrong with the ocassional Big Mac :rolleyes: :blink: :ninja:

:D

7. bigbuck

Interestingly, this guy travelled across the states (Texas got a pretty bad rap BTW Ron :doubt: ) checking out the school canteens. There was just mountains of deep fried foods, soda and candy bars!! So the poor kids are being assaulted on two fronts....at home and at school!

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

No doubt well deserved.
    I don't think we can blame everything on just the food. Activity levels are down in young people these days. Television, video games, and so on, do not help the problem.

9. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Yo Buck,

I (munch) couldn't agree (munch) w/you more. I (munch) am on (munch) a very strict(munch) diet that only (munch) allows me to (munch) have 1 (slurp/munch) burger and 1 shake per day (munch/slurp). The 1/4 Ton-ner and 10 gal. (Texas hat size) shake leaves me wanting!! (munch/slurp)

Play on, ed

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Want fries with that, big ed? :D

11. bigbuck

Hehe!
    Reminds me a bit of Mr Creosote from Monty Python's 'Meaning of life'
    http://faultgame.com/images/bucket.wav

Attached Files:

12. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Last time I ventured yonder to (pickup) Truckee, Ca. that was the size of the fries. When asked for my order by that little scratchy voicebox I just replied 'better'

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  13. Ailric

Ailric Guest

14. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

It's a matter of your body's metabolism. I eat anything I want and as often as I want - and not gain a single pound.

15. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I'm in the same boat. In fact, i have a hard time keeping my weight up. :p

As for McDonalds, all it's good for is a sure cure for constipation. ;) :D

snowbound

16. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Exactly. I've heard, however, that on the east coast (in big cities like NY) they're actually starting to come up w/ healthier fast food, pita sandwiches and such, and that it's actually starting to put a dent in the big guys.. just a part of the reason for McD's addition of salads, etc.

It's true that there's nothing wrong with some fast food occasionally but, as the movie pointed out, our (American's) definition of "occasionally" tends to differ. I like the point where they pointed out that those of other countries generally don't consume nearly as much soda in one go as we do. There's a lot of issues at play here. The more I read about our food industry, the more I just want to go live in the woods and grow my own.. and I'm about the farthest thing you can get from a militant vegan type.

Lol, same here..

17. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

I don't know. The thought of a "McVeggie" burger with "Tofu" fries just doesn't appeal to me. :p

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

19. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Who could even open their mouth that big??

20. Marja

I will take one of those pickle slices, though!:p

21. Ailric

Ailric Guest

The guy in the movie was eating an estimated 5000 calories per day and doing almost no exercise. Try eating 5000 calories per day in lettuce. It would kill you.

On the news Monday night a story was told about a frat pledge dying from drinking water. I guess water is toxic too.

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

23. Marja

Anbody can do it that way, Ronjor!:rolleyes:

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

25. bigbuck

Oh Mick can do better than that Ron!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.