Super Anti-Spyware Pro.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Taliscicero, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I just bought my license of SAS Pro, and i have a question about the real time scanning engine, it doesn't detect Eicar or the Spycar tests, and in task manager there is only one process running from it SUPERAntiSpyware.exe using 524k memory but that may just be from the icon running in my task bar anyone know whats wrong or if its working correctly?

2. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

I've never tested SAS Pro against Eicar, but make sure you have ticked "Enable real-time protection" when you right click on SAS taskbar icon.

3. evilscribble

evilscribble Registered Member

SAS Pro's real-time engine is designed to use memory only when scanning on-execution.

4. Taliscicero

ahhh right.... and yeah i have it enabled, theres just no way to know if it realy is working xD

5. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

SAS uses very little system memory but does use a nice chunk of the pagefile. None the less it has virtually zero impact on system performance.

Sure there is. Visit some rogue sites mentioned in the Sunbelt Blog, try to run the installers, and see what happens. Be sure to use a little common sense along the way (Sandbox, VM, etc.).

Attached Files:

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

im considering getting SAS Pro OR MBAM Pro. i do not care about their detection rates or any of that stuff because i already know both are great, but i would like to know plain and simply, which one of these 2 programs has the least slowdowns on a system?

7. evilscribble

evilscribble Registered Member

SAS Pro and its real-time protection terminates active spyware processes running on your system as well as future ones. MBAM's real-time protection prevents only future possible spyware processes from executing and relies on an on-demand scan to clean an already-infected system. SAS Pro has less slowdown.

8. firzen771

thank you

9. Taliscicero

I just bought both, they are similar, but SAS wins i couldn't even tell if it was running or not, As you can clearly see by my setup i am takeing the "Lifetime" route.

10. firzen771

o ya, 1 more question, does SAS Pro add any noticeable slow downs on startup?

11. kingaljr

kingaljr Registered Member

I read on the SAS forums that their policy was to not add definitions to harmless programs like Eicar etc. They want to keep bloat to a minimum I guess.

12. firzen771

to add to that, is SAS Pro detection purely signature based?

13. Taliscicero

Only if you enable the startup scan, but its only 5 seconds extra so not bad at all :D

The one good thing you get out of Adding Eicar, is that you can make sure its running correctly without opening any real malware :D

14. firzen771

holy ****, just downloaded the trial of SAS PRO, and is there a process thats named differently, cuz all im seeing is 1 process for it and its under 500kb... ive never seen something that low.

15. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I love SAS as well but fans please dont spread false information, MBAM def. doesnt cause more slowdown then SAS infact in my experience MBAM is lighter but then again they both rule in performence.

16. Taliscicero

Yeah lol thats why i was confused!

Not speading false info, they are similar for proformance, but SAS is better in the memory department.

SAS = 552k

MBAM = 15,124K

And both use about the same CPU , So yes i stick by what i said SAS is lighter but they are both unnoticible, Even when running together.

17. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi ,

Both SAS pro and MBAM pro are worth the Mooney invested (both have lifetime licenses). But ....
    If they were charging the same for annual license, I would think Twice.

To save few bucks for other MUST HAVE apps, just use free versions. My opinion, of course. Thoughts after having both Pro version for a while.

18. firzen771

id like to know if SAS Pro is purely signature based detection?

19. Diazruanova

Diazruanova Registered Member

I was having the same doubt about SAS working in real time or not, so I opened a ticket on their support dept. and this is it:

Hi,

I am new to SAS and this probably is a dumb question, but how do I know Real Time Protection is working?
    I was using previously Spyware Terminator and before this, CounterSpy and both used to launch ALL kind of warnings and alerts on my daily work (very annoying btw) ...but not SAS, none, nada, so I was wondering if there is a harmless file for testing RTP like there is Eicar file for AVs

Thanks a lot :)

SUPERAntiSpyware.com Replied:

Dear Enrique,

Thank you for contacting us. That's not a dumb question at all. SUPERAntiSpyware is rather slim on the notifications because you will only be warned about a critical event like a malware process that is blocked from running or a registry key change that is identified and blocked. The only exception to this is the homepage protection, which will notify you if the feature is turned on.
    We do not currently have a malware testing file like Eicar, but that is a very good idea and I will forward that suggestion on to our developers.
    If the SUPERAntiSpyware realtime protection is turned on, you will be able to notice a brief spike in CPU and possibly disk and registry access (through Task Manager or other system metric tool) at approximately 2 second intervals. Otherwise, there are no indications until malware is actually detected and blocked to indicate that the realtime is functioning.

Kind regards,

SUPERAntiSpyware Customer Support

20. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

A safe way to test SAS w/out having to look for rogues was posted by xyz360400 on the SAS forums.

I just tested it and SAS does notify you once you try to run the .scr file.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  21. Taliscicero

Very Friendly company, its a good way to get a nice reputation and a good reputation is everything in the AS field these days.

Yeah that works ^^, Ty.

22. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

Yes the staff at SUPERAntispyware are Friendly with Customer Service, Thats a big plus with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.