Sunbelt KPF 4.3.246 Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QBgreen, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

What's new/changed:

· Updates to resolve General Protection Faults
    · Fixes to the documentation
    · Several minor GUI fixes
    · Corrected minor licensing errors
    · Changed licensing from Kerio to Sunbelt
    · Changed updates from Kerio to Sunbelt
    · Updated the advertising block list
    · Performance improvements when web filtering is enabled

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

nice thanks QBgreen

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Anyone tried the new version yet? I installed it and it seems to be running fine, so far. Haven't had a BSOD yet. Opening the GUI when I’m running limewire still causes it to hang. Also, I’m having a problem registering my new key, the "register" button is grayed out.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

The biggest issue was BSODs. They did not mention about fixing it!

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well we sometimes also classify GPF as BSODs...

So:
    Updates to resolve General Protection Faults

could be equal to BSOD fix.

7. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

8. Spyros

Spyros Registered Member

9. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

I am wondering, Spyros, if Sunbelt didn't jump on the same bandwagon that ZoneAlarm did. When Sygate was bought out by Symantec the handwriting was on the wall. ZA immediately appealed to the Sygate community by offering 40% off their products. Sunbelt probably is attempting to do the same thing. It is obvious it is a battle for dominance in the Internet Security World. :D

Hmmm, I have version 4.2.2 which I just installed and so far it works well, though i have run into a few GUI glitches. BIG thanks to you, QBgreen

10. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I'm actually fairly disappointed with this release. Not enough was really done to make this firewall a true player in the current market, IMHO.

11. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Not enough in what way?

If you mean Suite like add ons, I'm glad it doesn't.

Regards - Charles

12. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

I have to agree. ZoneAlarm added suites and it became very clunky. It played havoc with net surfing.

13. SwordOfSecurity

SwordOfSecurity Registered Member

I got a bit of a stupid question :rolleyes: I did the update check and my Kerio 4.2.3 didn't detect anything, yet when I checked the version it seemed to be outdated compared to this version. So my concern is: should I just go to the website and manually reinstall? I'm just a bit nervous for this since I'm not highly experienced with firewalls and because I don't want my current rules to be removed/replaced/forgotten.

Happen's to me too, apparently it started a while ago with my current version of KPF, even thought it previously worked fine.

14. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Curious. Me too. (Probably just as well, though)
    Overview / Preferences / Export to backup your current config.

In lieu of the un-enthusiastic comments here regarding the upgrade, however, I think I'll wait till the dust settles b4 upgrade on my mach.

15. SwordOfSecurity

Thanks for the help :D (completely forgot about export o_O ). Good advice too, I think I'll wait a bit after, since I experienced a few BSOD's too on a clean computer with KPF with non-conflicting software.

16. SwordOfSecurity

Sorry for the double post, but I feel it necessary to bump this thread. I just reinstalled Kerio to get the new updates in this version---and man was it a bad mistake!! I recieved several BSOD's whenever I tried to run certain programs, (such as games) etc. and with that I was forced to uninstall Kerio. :doubt: Looks like they need to seriously fix this issue since I never had this occurence happen to me so often before this reinstall.

17. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Here...Here I agree :thumb:

18. matousec

matousec Registered Member

New Kerio comes only with cosmetic changes, registry entries of Kerio are now under Sunbelt instead of Kerio, almost nothing important has changed except that update servers now point to Sunbelt. So, now your Kerio should tell you the truth if you ask for new updates.

19. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

@matousec; your site was very instructive for me. I think that it will be advantageous if you prepare and publish more personal firewall analysis.

By the way, I want to say that new version of kerio PF seems to be more stable and faster than previous version when using the web filtering feature.

20. matousec

matousec Registered Member

Thanks. We have added review for this version of Kerio but the results are terrible.

About the performance - the new Kerio is maybe little slower or more demanding than its older version but we have not tested web filtering. Its changelog mentions performance improvements for web filtering so probably it is faster with it than before. We have not tested web filtering because we really do not think that web filtering is a problem of personal firewall. I think it is a problem of browser - for all modern browsers there are plugins for popup/add/cookie-blocking etc.

21. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

I'll wait for your comparable results. (for others; outpost, look'n'stop, jetico, netveda, filseclab, comodo/trustix, norton/sygate, MDF... etc)
    Thanks.

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  22. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I downloaded it & it slugs down my bandwidth by a large margin, had Kisv6 installed & was getting 5.2mps with Kerio & Kav6 758, that's quite a bit of slowing IMHO...

23. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

:mad:

I had the same problem with Kerio, I think you need to turn off the web filtering stuff.

24. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I found that out last night but it errors out on close down & doing a clean install didn't help. Can't see the window error but something isn't closing down right...

25. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I'm having the same issue on two separate computers. I believe it's the KPFGUI that is displaying the error.

Additionally, there are two instances of the gui running under task manager (this may or may not be ok, I don't know and don't remember prior to upgrading to the newest version).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.