Sunbelt Firewall reduced

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by trjam, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

To a very low price. I am not posting link or price to keep from breaking site policy but, the old Kerio has a very good price attached at the Sunbelt site.

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Wowo..........i just saw it. Well worth the $------------.

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Sunbelt has been $10 for a while. There are enough free ones out there to pass on this, IMO. As it is, any paid standalone firewall is a tough sell against the current selection of free firewalls and some select suites that throw in a good firewall for another $10 over the AV only price.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Yes it has been that price for a while. FWIU- Sunbelt has not developed the fw much and it still has some bugs. Heck it is not even compatible with Vista.

But Sunbelt did run a nice little promo for all the blackice users who were left in the cold when that program folded a few months back by offering free licenses.

I just don't think the Sunbelt fw is any better than some of the free ones available.

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Yes, I traded my BlackIce for a one-year SunBelt fw. That was early August last year. I used for one month or so, and then ditched it.

The Sunbelt fw forum at Castlecops, has few postings, and my question got only one reply, from a member, not from the Official, making thing even worse, my support ticket never got a reply. Good product ? not sure. Lousy support, 100% affirmatively. Moreover, no update I could witness since then, the development people have gone fishing, and the product itself has been in fact in hibernation.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Maybe they have just abaondoned the fw? It really should just be offered free if Sunbelt is not going to support it. There are probably a lot happier users with the old, free version of Kerio (2.15 or whatever). Oddly the support for CounterSpy has always been superb- at least it was when I was using the program up until about a year ago.

7. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Maybe they are just really concentrating on Counterspy, trying to turn it into an AV. I think when they bought it from kerio, kerio was ready to just discontinue it.

8. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Sunbelt is still making noise to the effect that the firewall is being actively developed. Very little noise, but that's what they're stating.

9. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Where are they stating this?

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You could have fooled me... that's the main reason why I was sorry I bought it back when they took over... they just seemed to want to make some quick cash on suckering in people on the low price, only to do almost nothing with it for years afterwards... No thanks.

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I just think the 2.1.5 rules table is much better than the present, errr, table? nah, the ZA'ish thing going on there. I think the features it adds have value, specially NIPS and HIPS (or just application control and NIPS). Content filtering, if i understand it correctly, should be a Proxomitron kind of thing, editable. But the rules, man, 2.1.5 was logical.

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

That's why Kerio 2 remains as the gold standard in rule-based firewalls. Wish Kerio had open sourced the code :(

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If they updated it for more protocols support, pseudo spi and so on, many ppl would buy it, even if only for the heck of it.
    I like CFP's approach to separate global from application rules, but i also like Kerio's 1 table approach. Rules with order, and where just by looking at it you know what's going on.

14. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Lets hope the current version is better than this one!

Review

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.