Sun Java...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Comp01, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Is it safe to install Sun's Java virtual machine, I've come across about 2-3 sites that require it, another thing, will unchecking the checkbox in Firefox 0.9.3 "Enable Java" disable Sun's Java (if I install it?).

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Comp01,

Yes, if you get it from a trusted source. I don't have the url's for it at this time.
    In answer to your second question, yes unchecking it in FF will disable Sun's Java within the browser. I know this because I tested it. With Sun Java (checked), java applets at a website work. With Sun Java (unchecked), the java applets do not function.

Cheers!

3. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I've had the installer on my PC for about 5 days, downloaded it directly fron Sun. (Linked from Moz Dev)

4. dog

dog Guest

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Just a note about installing and uninstalling Sun Java.

If you are going to install the latest version, and you have an older version already installed, then first uninstall the old version because if you try and uninstall the old version after you've installed the newest one, then you will be uninstalling the new one too.

Regards,

snap

6. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

And be prepared for one heckuva mess in the registry and in your files -- particularly in the registry, Sun loves to cross-reference quite a few different versions, and it's almost impossible to tell for sure which entries can be safely edited and/or deleted.

File folders aren't quite so bad -- if you have folders for two different versions and they seem to contain the same files (other than newer dates), you cazn probably safely dump the folder(s) relating to older versions.

7. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Are you saying installing it will add alot of junk to the registry, or installing over top an older version will?

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used sun's java for years and it works well, I am now useing beta version 1.5. It works better than any version I have used so far.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Deinstall and reinstall the latest version.. NO junk will pile up.

10. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Ronjor's right -- if you uninstall first, it should be pretty clean.

Part of the problem is that the Sun Java -- or maybe it's XP, or the combination of the two -- treats each new sub-version build as a patch to the previous one, rather than a fresh installation, so everything merrily accumulates at your expense.

Too bad Sun couldn't design it to install the way so many good programs do these days, scan for any existing installation(s) and offer to uninstall it or them first.

11. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Where did you find beta version 1.5?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.