Sun Java question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Shunned, Mar 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Re-building an older computer an would like to install Sun Java but having a difficult time knowing which is the proper install.
    Have been all over the sun website so have made an effort. One download is 14mb and another download is 39mb.
    If anyone has experience this choice confusion please advise. Thank You.
    Am not up to date on sun java information

2. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Ok, decided to go with the 14mb download which appears to be the runtime enviorment. That should work.

3. subratam

subratam Registered Member

http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart for me here

4. Shunned

Shunned Guest

SUB, thank you! For some reason could just not locate that page earlier an was being sent all around the website. Then my security kicked in several times preventing downloads.
    The link you provided was a big help. Getting the product right now without any problem downloading it.

5. subratam

My pleasure. Nice to provide you some help

good day

6. shunned

shunned Guest

Installed.....AN IMMEDIATELY UN-INSTALLED!!

Have been a long time user of Sun java and Sun products but this time said: "no,thanks" This thingy put an icon of a coffee cup on the desktop that is some kind of application an certainly is not what I wanted. WEB START, what the heck is that?
    So, its gone...no complaints from me. This is the second time Sun has disappoint me. Once with a previous version that popped-up each time an applet was started...an drained the computer's resources dry until it crashed...am not going through that again.

7. subratam

Hi shunned,
    I have been using webstart and its not causing any probz to me. regarding coffee cup icon, i think all latest sun applications have been upgraded to that. and you can delete that from desktop and forget it.
    whenever you will need java you will have it .. and no I dont see any probz from my side.
    it even have an auto-updater to update latest java run time whenever present.
    It dont give any pop-ups nor any messages, but work silently
    anyways its your wish as its your machine at end of day.
    would surely want to have some more comments from others.. I dont dislike this

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I have the Java Web Start icon on my desktop too.
    I have never used it ,so I can't tell you what it's for.
    It seems harmless, but I would rather not have it on the desktop so I deleted the icon.

9. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Hey Guys, your imput is appreciated. This really was a big disappointment for me.
    For years I've used Mandrake, Star Office and numerous open source products an will continue but WITH OLDER VERSIONS!
    Did you check your Control Panel...an notice there is an icon for the plug-in. That prior time when that coffee cup appeared it nearly ruined a new computer of mine. Completely disrupted everything. Was on a winME at that time .
    No, I totally refuse to use this new version of java. It may be great and safe but it makes me feel like its being forced on me....an thats not a good approach. Later if I find out what this Web Start is maybe it wont be seen in the same light but still wont use it.....cause its not what I asked for.
    If fact, tonight was going to buy three copies of new Star Office....an because of this Web Start I blew those plans off. Nor will purchase an new versions of Mandrake or Linux. The computer will run just find with the older versions
    As for Java...will use the M$ version that I know is in-secure.....but the choice will be made knowingly and not forced.
    Still have no idea what this Web Start is...it didn't stay any longer than it took for me to un-install it.

10. subratam

Hi again shunned,
    i respect your views and its again your wish what you will keep in your machine.
    regarding web start, you can find whatever you want to know right here
    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-webstart/

keep posting

11. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Hi Sub.....

went back to the Sun Site.....Web Start is for Developers mainly:

http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/overview.html

For me its just excess baggage and a useless waste of disc space. So, question is..where to find JUST the runtime enviorment without the Web Start?? Am not planning on developing anything other than a headache

12. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Had I taken the time to read before downloading none of this would be happening.
    BAD COMPUTING ON MY PART! This is how people get viuses and trogans.....darn I know better....just got lazy!

13. subratam

Hi shunned,
    I understand your point.
    Ok have a visit here.. I hope this is one you want...
    Java Runtime Environment 1.4 .2

see if that matches your interest

14. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Thanks Sub..will check it out...also, I read the link you kindly provided...Web Star is strictly one-sided in favor of developers. IMO of no use to the average computer user.
    Also noted that Web Start will be included in future versions of Sun Java....an will try to clarify this. Tonight Sun lost several hundred dollars because of this Web Start. As a share holder this is of concern to me on a private level.

15. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Was able to quickly get on line an dump my shares of sun micro (after hours) come monday morning the shares are gone.
    Will support any open source software unless it even slightly shows sighs of taking the path of M$. This comment may be off topic but I've been trying for the past 12 hours to obtain this software an still don't have a clean install. Not Happy At All!

16. Shunned

Shunned Guest

SUB
    Thank you for being patient and so helpful.
    I wont make any further reply on this topic. I am far to experienced to put up with anything from software vendors. Will try the link you provided an if that does not work will move on. I can do without this product or get an older version.

Thank You Sub and Tester

17. Shunned

Shunned Guest

SUB, tryed your link..it downloads the same thing WEB START.

OPEN COMMENT

In years past when microsoft downloaded un-wanted garbage into our computers the security community hollared and screamed.
    I dare anyone anywhere to say that Sun isn't now doing the very same thing that microsoft did
    Any program that installs un-requested and un-wanted software onto a computer..software that has the ability to connect to the internet...installed without the users consent is a TROGAN!...an anyone who has been around the security community awhile knows this to be true
    After years of struggling with M$ we don't need another struggle on our hands.
    Newbees may not understand but the old-timers will. An should be able to see the hand writting on the wall. An no, this is not a rant.
    This is what was taught to me.. handed down by people in the security community at-large.
    End of comment. No further comments by me on this topic.

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

All you have to do is go to add/remove programs and delete web start. I have done it and it compleatly gets rid of web start.

19. Shunned

Shunned Guest

BIG

Web Start was NOT in the add/remove...had to un-installed the entire program an thereafter clean the registry.

So there is no confusion or mis-understanding. Anyone who wants to use this version of sun java makes the choice theirselfs an no one will will see me saying otherwise.
    For me, no, it wont be on any of my computers. For the reasons previously stated.
    Nor will any product that contains that version of sun jave be purchased by myself. This is how M$ was handled an see no reason to compromise now.
    My comments are not a rant. Let everyone else know whatever they so please. But this thing will not be used by me.

20. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Am concerned that this may turn into a debate an there is no need for that.
    I would never try to push my ideas or values on someone else. Whats comfortable for me may not be to others. So please, do however you please regarding this program.

21. Shunned

Shunned Guest

BigC
    You gave me an idea when you mentioned removing web start by way of add/remove. So locate an older version of sun jave an sure enough Web Start can be un-installed by add/remove.
    Now this I have no major objection to. Still don't approve of un-requested software by at least in older versions there is the opinion to remove it.
    So why not in the newest version?? That seems simple enough. Just allow it to be removed. The way the newest version is this web start is forced software. That can't be removed without removing the entire program.
    Looks like I'll be staying with the older version and software that contains it. Heck, that will even save me money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.