Sun Java jre security update available.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Or choose my solution, uninstall this plugin. It's just going to die eventually anyway. I never use it in a day-to-day basis, and most websites will try to use alternatives wherever possible.

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

For the occasional website that uses it I have it installed, although I sometimes find it a challenge to remove all elements when removing the old version to install the new version, I sometimes have to give myself owner previges not just addmin :mad: .

4. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Java is also used by programs like Eclipse, Azureus, JDownloader and few others, I don't see this menace going away that soon, Sun is still strong.

5. Kevin McAleavey

Kevin McAleavey Security Expert

Alas, it's not going away anytime soon for corporate users, same as Flash and dotnet trash and several other major headaches like CUPS. Home use, you're free to do as you please, but in the corporate environment you're stuck with these boat anchors.

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Never had a problem with Sun's jre on my 2 Ubuntus. I need it for interactive charts amongst other things. If anyone (using jdk) can successfully load and work with this chart, let me know and I will switch to jdk form the repos.

http://www.sharenet.co.za/charts/index.php?load=BIL

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  7. linuxforall

As long as they need Java, I would rather use latest secure optimized Java from Sun, its faster, more compatible, some programs won't work with Open JDK, same goes for some sites. Its also easy to update via the bin file, instructions are there on Ubuntuforums, Okcky's text and elsewhere. Java from Sun is frequently updated, specially security issues.

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

There are also the 'bleed' repos. but still with u18 - I suppose they will be updated soon. https://launchpad.net/~karmic-bleed/ archive/ppa
    Being 'bleeding edge' it's advisable to untick or remove those repos from sources after sun jre is installed. I have used the Hardy one in the past without any problems whatsoever. :)

9. linuxforall

Good find, was looking for latest vlc, problem is that it also has other stuff that I woudn't wish to upgrade.

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I don't see a problem there, eg. in synaptic they should show under upgradeable, so only upgrade vlc - then untick the repo in sources (or remove it).

11. linuxforall

True, that can be done, I have installed vlc 10.4 from onestone's ppa, might as well give this a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.