SUMo : Keep your software up to date

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kyle_Katarn, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

@Kyle_Katarn,
    Do you have any thoughts about my earlier post, regarding SUMo not flagging the new LosslessCut version as current?
    By now, SUMo's LosslessCut page shows 4 users with LosslessCut version 1.6.0 (67%) and 2 users with LosslessCut version 1.7.0 (33%), and SUMo still flags version 1.6.0 as "current", instead of the new version 1.7.0.
    As I mentioned in my earlier post, as SUMo doesn't flag the new version as current, other SUMo users are not notified of the new version.

2. Stupendous Man

If you like, you can disable list reloading in Settings\ [uncheck the box for] Reload list before check.

3. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Sometimes it's a hit and miss with what gets flagged as current. A good example is the curl.exe. I've seen it flagged as current for different listed versions. Right now a lower version is current. Also 7.55.1 comes and goes from the list as current. Maybe the algorithm needs some rework.
    Code:
    ]Versions Flags        Users (5)
    7.54.1.0  user         1 (20%)
    7.49.0.0               1 (20%)
    7.48.0.0               1 (20%)
    7.47.1.0  current      2 (40%)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  4. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I thought I made it clear that all options were unchecked except for show path.

5. guest

guest Guest

I think i'm gonna place each "portable" program into its own subfolder (for clarity), and then i add the parent directory to "Custom Folders". Now all software placed into this folder gets automatically added to SUMo :thumb:

6. Stupendous Man

I misunderstood.
    I understood you have no options checked except show file path, but I thought you meant manually checked, additional to default settings.
    I didn't understand you have all default options unchecked, including Reload list before check (and checked Show file path).
    Odd, that you see reloading, even if you have unchecked Reload list before check.

7. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I tend to misunderstand at times too. :D
    Yeah, I think it may be broken.

8. Adric

Adric Registered Member

[SUMo] Beta Report for Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition by PortableApps.com v 55.0.2 - SUMo reports Update available (56.0.0.0)

[SUMo] Beta Report for Firefox (64 bits) by Mozilla Foundation v 55.0.2.6435 - SUMo reports Update available (56.0.0.6442) Flagging Portable Edition minidump-analyzer.exe

[SUMo] Beta Report for Thunderbird by Mozilla Foundation v 52.3.0 - SUMo reports Update available (56.0.0.6440)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  9. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

[SUMo] Beta Report for Google Chrome (64 bits) by Google Inc. v 60.0.3112.101 - SUMo reports Update available (61.0.3163.59)

10. guest

guest Guest

Allow Beta versions = disabled
    SUMo is showing Firefox 56 and LibreOffice 5.4.1.1 as available Updates.
    SUMo.png

11. Stupendous Man

As SUMo 'power user', I flagged LibreOffice 5.4.1.1, both x86 and x64, as beta, so that is fixed.
    As I'm not Firefox user, I won't meddle with Firefox versions. I hope Kyle, or some other SUMo power user will fix the Firefox beta -- and also the Firefox, Thunderbird and Google Chrome beta, as reported by Adric and Minimalist.

12. Adric

Adric Registered Member

What does SUMO 'power user' mean and entail? Seems like a lot of manual intervention is required to get SUMO to flag things correctly.

13. Stupendous Man

Beta versions need to be flagged as beta manually, by Kyle, or by one of the SUMo power users.
    SUMo power users are users that Kyle had granted the ability to flag versions as beta, or un-beta, when necessary.
    Beta and un-beta flagging is done via the "Get Update" product pages. Beta and un-beta flags set by designated users have their effect on the server side, and apply to all SUMo users.
    You could say, SUMo power users are Kyle's little helpers. ;)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  14. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Google Chrome detection of beta was fixed. Thnx.

15. guest

guest Guest

:thumb:

16. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

I'm back from my 1 week holydays ! Thank you for flagging beta while i was away.
    I've fixed a dozen of them this morning. Should be OK now... thanks !!!

17. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

There is a double threshold to reach, one on # of users and the other one on % of active users.
    1.7 is now declared as current :)

18. Stupendous Man

I hope you had a wonderful week, Kyle!
    Thanks for explaining, Kyle. :thumb:
    I already presumed such # of users and % of active users thresholds. I think those thresholds are essential to limit the number of beta reported as 'current'.
    The % of active users threshold should be no problem, I suppose.
    But for software that has only a few active SUMo users, the # of users threshold will probably hold back SUMo to report a new update as current.
    The alternative would be to set the # of users threshold less strict, but that would probably result in substantially more beta reported as 'current', so that would not be a good alternative.
    Yes, I noticed. We reached the # of users threshold. :)

19. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

I'm still fine tuning these thresholds. I'll publish the current settings here soon so that you can "challenge" or propose more suitable logics.

20. Stupendous Man

Great.
    Thanks, Kyle.

21. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Current logic is
    Code:
    (%>5%) and (#users>2)
    OR
    (%>2%) and (#users>20)
    OR
    (#users>80)

22. Stupendous Man

Thanks, Kyle.
    As we know, this did not work perfectly in the previously mentioned LosslessCut example.
    With 6 active users, 33% did not reach the threshold, as that were only 2 users, not >2.

Could an additional rule be created, a rule that is only valid for software with very few active users, 8 active users and less, a rule that is different from the rule for software with 'normal' numbers of active users?
    If there was a rule only valid for software with 8 active users and less, perhaps it could be: (%>20%) and (#users>1)

N.B.
    By the way, currently, the SUMo "Get Update" pages (for instance SUMo's LosslessCut page), give a HTTP error 500, Internal server error.

23. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Error 500 is now fixed.
    New rules are :

Code:
    (%>5%) and (#users>2)
    OR
    (%>2%) and (#users>20)
    OR
    (%>20%) and (#users>1) and (#tot_users<10)
    OR
    (#users>80)

24. Stupendous Man

Great, thanks.
    Ah, great.
    I think that extra rule is helpful and should work nicely for software with less than 10 active users (9 active users and less).
    Thanks!

25. Adric

Adric Registered Member

[SUMo] Beta Report for Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition by PortableApps.com v 55.0.2 - SUMo reports Update available (56.0.0.0)

[SUMo] Beta Report for Firefox by Mozilla Foundation v 55.0.2.6435 - SUMo reports Update available (55.0.3.0)
    [SUMo] Beta Report for Firefox (64 bits) by Mozilla Foundation v 55.0.2.6435 - SUMo reports Update available (55.0.3.0)
    Flagging Portable Edition minidump-analyzer.exe for both 32 and 64bit. Current portable version is 55.0.2

[SUMo] Error Report for WISO-Sparbuch 2016/2017 by Buhl Tax Service, Hannover v 2017.24.0.1375 - SUMo reports Update available (2017.24.3.1518 )

When checking for updates via the WISO app, the result shows that the program is current. The stats don't look right.
    Code:
    Versions Flags Users (31)
    2017.24.6.1633 beta 4 (13%)
    2017.24.5.1582 beta 1 (3%)
    2017.24.3.1518 current 4 (13%)
    2017.24.2.1470         4 (13%)
    2017.24.0.1375 user   18 (58%)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.