Suit Over Faulty Computers Highlights Dell’s Decline

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Osaban, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/technology/29dell.html?src=me&ref=homepage

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Dispicable and cold blooded fraud by Dell :thumbd:

Dell
    What a joke, except it's not :(

Not just Dell :eek:

I've been using Nichicon capacitors for years in other equipment, and havn't noticed any duds. I'll be taking a closer look and testing from now on.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That's correct. My independently built computer with a Gigabyte motherboard suffered the same problem.

The tech that built my computer changed the capacitors by hand.

I find it hard to believe that a company would purposely build defective computers.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I agree completely. The interesting point is how a company in such predicament reacts to the problem. I'm usually wary of huge discounts on computers, as they could have defective components which companies might try to compensate within warranty periods.

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    The batch of faulty capacitors affected many brands, as noted above...Gigabyte motherboards, as well as many Abits and MSI motherboards, and other brands.

Dell has honored hardware warranty on the affected models, replacing them under warranty even after the standard 3 year warranty had passed. About 2 years ago I had Dell ship replacement boards on a huge fleet of PCs at a school, and that was about 3.5 years after purchase. They made it very easy.

6. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

wow i hope my XPS DELL dont give me those kind of headaches

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

It was more than a "batch" - and it was caps from more than one cap maker too. But you are correct it affected the entire industry, not just Dell. It affected all motherboard makers. But Dell did a lousy job of handling it - initially - well, for a while, actually, until they started taking a lot of heat from consumers and the IT press.

I had a couple Gigabyte boards suffer from leaky caps and Gigabyte replaced them promptly - including one that was 6 months past the 3 year warranty - one reason I really like, use, and recommend Gigabyte boards.

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I refer to the cheapo ones that came from Taiwan as a "batch". Yes there are/were several plants in Taiwan that made caps. The general lore about it, and it's pretty much widely accepted as true, is that industrial spying led to a capacitor electrolyte formula being brought to several super cheap Taiwan factories to make capacitors. That particular formula was partially complete..but they didn't know that. The incomplete formula did not include an important component to combat corrosion of the caps. So several plants in Taiwan made the electrolyte for the caps...not knowing they were using an incomplete formula..they hit the market and underbid the other cap makers in Japan and other places..won a lot of contracts (due to steep under bidding on contracts)...and the rest is history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.