Suggestions for firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by SonyaAnn, May 3, 2017.

1. SonyaAnn

SonyaAnn Registered Member

I've tried a few firewalls but have not managed to prevent rasphone from launching that hidden .pbk I have just done a clean install and set windows firewall to log connections and dropped packets. Every time .pbk is "last modified" there are several dropped packets for 224.0.0.22 and 239.255.255.250.

I tried removing the files corresponding with this thing from windows and the registry; after doing so my windows says "not activated" on system properties, and had a watermark until I did another install.

2. imuade

imuade Registered Member

I use TinyWall http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/TinyWall.shtml and it can block Microsoft stuffs like Cortana, Store, Edge.
    Basically, it's a controller for Windows Firewall and by default it blocks everything unless you whitelist it.
    It comes with some predefined rules to allow DHCP, DNS, Windows Updates and such.
    It doesn't have any notification, so if something it's not working, you have to manually allow it

3. Xsjx

Xsjx Registered Member

Zonealarm

4. askmark

askmark Registered Member

I would try Windows Firewall Control from Binisoft (https://www.binisoft.org).
    It is regularly updated and their is help available from the developer in this forum.
    I use it and personally wouldn't use anything else.
    The free version doesn't have popup notifications but you can easily view recently allowed or blocked connections in the log. By right clicking an entry in the log you can then allow/block or create a custom rule for each application that connects to the Internet.
    For $10 you get interactive notifications, free updates and you can install the software on all your computers.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  5. korben

korben Registered Member

6. Deletedmessiah

Deletedmessiah Registered Member

7. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Hi Korben...
    - for me you shouldn't trust Adobe Flash in all positions
    - CCleaner...it shouldn't (IMO) call outside
    - Firefox can't be trusted in highest level
    Actually every potentialy vulnerable app should not be treated as trusted.

8. korben

korben Registered Member

DUly noted, mate.

9. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

But doesn't CCleaner need to connect to check for updates?

10. korben

korben Registered Member

I update it manually like I do with all of my software.

11. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Well, I said check for updates not that it will install them. You should already know that CCleaner tells you when updates are available so you can download them yourself

12. ichito

ichito Registered Member

No...for me it does not need to make in/out connection. Like @korben said - I update installed software manualy.

13. fax

fax Registered Member

Which kind of alert events? Do you have examples? How do you turn them off?

14. korben

korben Registered Member

Whenever a program gets blocked, a popup appears saying A program has been blocked access to the internet.

15. fax

fax Registered Member

The first time a program is run (or after the program got updated) if the application is not registered in the ZA central database of safe applications then you get a pop-up. If you allow the program to, for example, access the internet, then next time you run the program you should not be prompted. You will get a pop-up again only if the program is changed/updated/altered. If you disallow a program to run, then next time you will try to run it you will get a pop-up (this is by design)

If you want to disallow permanently a program then you will need to go in the program list of ZA, find the program, set up smartdefense to "custom", and "deny" (red cross) a particular action (e.g. access internet). From now on you will not get the pop-up for that program and the program will always be blocked.

All above words only in the ZA application control is set to MAX.

Remember that ZA is not designed as a application control program of what is normally already installed in the system like appguard. ZA application control is to defend the system from unknown/bad application that may installed or installed application that may be tampered by malware. The principle is that is you do not trust a program you should install it in the first place. Otherwise you will end up babysitting each of the application in your system and spending more time in reviewing your local application than using the system.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax
    P.S. I never used the free version therefore I am not 100% the above apply also to the free version.

16. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.