Suggestion

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by m00nbl00d, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Hello there folks.

So, I know that it is possible to add our own activex blocking list to SpywareBlaster, but I only 1 by 1. It would be great to be able to import and also export lists of blocked activex.

Let's imagine that I create a .txt file with CLSIDs that goes like:

Name_of_the_malware - {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}

Then, when importing such lists to SpywareBlaster, it would be converted to whatever format it works with.

One other thing. I noticed that, when inputing some CLSIDs, SpywareBlaster automatically applies them, while it won't apply others. I thought it could be due to the fact those already exist, but when I search if a CLSID already exists in SpywareBlaster's database, I'm told there isn't any entry that goes by that name.

Regards

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

The file format that SpywareBlaster uses for its Custom Blocking list is actually just a plain-text file that can be easily shared among different users/machines.

Look under C:\Program Files\SpywareBlaster (or wherever you installed SpywareBlaster), for "customblocking.txt". :)

If, when you input a CLSID, SpywareBlaster marks it as already protected - that means that *something* already set protection against it. This could be caused by the maker of that software disabling an old, vulnerable ActiveX control, Microsoft doing so in one of their recent patches, or another program.

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. m00nbl00d

Thank you for the feedback.

I couldn't find the "customblocking.txt" file. All I find, related to the protection provided by SpywareBlaster, are files with extension .dtb.

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

My apologies for not mentioning it before - the customblocking.txt file is only created if you've added at least one item to the Custom Blocking list in SpywareBlaster. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. m00nbl00d

Great!

So, that will mean that if I enter just one Custom Blocking in SpywareBlaster, I then can open that file and add more entries and the ones, which still have no protection applied, will be automatically applied? That's great news. Had no idea about it.

Appreciate your feedback!

6. m00nbl00d

OK, I've been playing around with it, and this task is a killer.

Having to input hundreds of entries like that, just won't cut it. 10 entries, no big deal. But, hundreds, well... :D

Considering that each entry needs to be in the format:

[number]
    Name= anyname
    CLSID={clsid}

I think that an import option would be the best solution.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.