Suggestion: Free Virus Cleaner

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by jg88swe, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jg88swe

jg88swe Registered Member

Hey,
    Have a suggestion for Eset...

When i had no Anti-virus for my computer i got infected by a "popular" worm but it was really hard for me to figure out which worm it was... So a basicly downloaded almost every NOD32 Free virus cleaner there was and finaly i got ridd of it...

Would'nt it be better to put all those Free Virus Cleaners NOD32 offers in just one neat package... McAfee, Kaspersky and Avast! has it like this and i think its much better.
    Why not include Advanced Heuristics in it too, that would really get people interested in buying NOD32 when they got cured by such uniqe feature :)

Thanks, Jocke

(Please Moderators don't merge this into another topic, cuz then it will be forgotten)

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I was told previously by Blackspear it is on the wish list.

3. jg88swe

ohh.. great

4. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

I like the idea.
    When I tried Panda Antivirus a long time ago, they already had this feature too.
    Hope Eset can do it.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

5. fosius

fosius Registered Member

I agree, too...

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There is a trial version of NOD32 always at your disposal which will do this job perfectly. What is the sense in making cleaners with huge databases and all modules? That would be exactly the same as the trial version.

7. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Well, I agree with you Marcos, but I was thinking about a cleaner with most dangerous viruses, trojans, etc, for a faster help.
    This file would be smaller too.
    I know Symantec works the same way Eset, and when I used to work with NAV a long time ago, I had to search for the right cleaner.

Well, it's just my 2 cents. :)

Best Regards,

DonKid.

8. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well, the trial is a good option, but still a smaller kit with all the dangerous viruses will be more helpful sometimes ;)

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Must be some reason several of your competitors do it even though they have trial versions? But of course that doesn't mean you have to.

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The problem is that if we need to use the NOD32 again on the same computer after the trial period, we can't download updates to have all the signatures that could be important to remove some virus...

11. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

It is NOT recommended to build up such "universal cleaners".

I'll tell you why:

Take a look at Mc Afee's Stinger. Nice tool - and user friendly. The problem with this "all in one" cleaners is that they become a target for malware authors. To prove this take a look at the Sober Worm. If you read the virus descriptions careful you will see that Sober (and this is only one example) terminates Stinger.Exe. Mc Afee didn't even know this because at this time they did miss this fact in ther virus description. They found this out later and had to provide a renamed "Stinger.exe" because this worm did terminate stinger before it was able to clean. If you release "small" cleaners with different names and different window captions how should the malware author know how you name this program? Meaning he's not able to terminate this during his worm development. That's the important fact.

Next thing is that with such a "super cleaner" some people feel safe enough because they think "oh well if i get infected this tool will help me". Results out of this are that they might not update the AV on a daily basis.

The origin of a cleaner is that they were written to build a workaround for malware which terminates the AV program. They were not build to provide additional security beside the AV program. Thats why they are called cleaners and not scanners. :D

You can group some malware (maybe different worm variants) into one worm cleaner, but building up a universal cleaner tool is - from the view of a malware expert - not recommended. The user will probably like this universal tool, but history proves it's not such a good idea because your cleaner becomes always a target for process termination.

8^) H.B.

12. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Thanks HB, understood.

Cheers :D

13. jg88swe

hmm allright... guess it make sence :)

But then i think NOD32 should have a "Infected by a virus?" button like Avast! has... And when you click on it you will come to a virus help center or something were they recommend to download NOD32 trial for starters...
    A thought for the new website..

NOD32.se has a feature like this...

Thanks for the replys

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Same here :)

Thanks Happy Bytes

15. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Well,

Happy Bytes scores again. :D
    What about an online scan at Eset's site ?

Best Regards,

DonKid.

16. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Of course :D :p

17. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

IMHO, with ThreatSense we have online scan, haven't we ?

18. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Hi,

I was thinking about people that doesn't have any kind of programs to protect against viruses, etc.
    A free scan online, could help them.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

19. jg88swe

now then again they could just install the Trial Version :)

A online scanner would be a cool thing but it's really not necessary i think

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.