Suggestion for help with links

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by MikeBCda, Jan 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi all,

This is in reference to LWM's post this morning about problems with posting links, here. The FAQ's are an administrative thread which doesn't permit replies, so I'm doing this here instead. LWM or whoever, feel free to copy-and-paste this to wherever if you feel it will be helpful.

LWM, you'd commented on the difficulty in trying to demonstrate "url" coding without making it a real link, so I'm passing along a trick we teach at boards which use UBB, probably as-near-as-dammit to YaBB coding.

To make coding visible but inactive, which is essentially what you were trying to do, simply add a space after each opening bracket. So my "here" link in the first paragraph would look like [ url=http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=19869]here[ /url].

And of course remind everyone to remove those spaces if they want the link (or other coding) to work.

Another trick (for non-mods and non-admins, that is) is to simply "modify" someone else's post -- that way you can see the code behind an interesting-looking effect. And you can't change it, if someone else posted it, only view it.

Best to all,
    Mike

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Mike,

Yes, I've done some postings using either spaces or "*" characters or whatever else, and then reminded the people to remove those characters. Other times I've used images to show it. The FAQ: The Art of Quoting in Posts uses a combination of those methods.

Some days I do it one way and some days another. :doubt: I happened to have used code blocks for this latest one. (By the way, I was in the process of updating it when you posted here. Someone ask for more information, so I added another part to it and reworded it a bit.)

Yes, I agree with you people can easily see exactly how a post was done by using the quote button on another person's post and looking at the exact syntax that was used. It's a great tool to see how special text or other attributes were created.

Edit: The code blocks were just to hard to read so I changed them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.