Suggested free software for best security

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bamaman66, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bamaman66

bamaman66 Registered Member

I would like some suggestions on the best coverage from a security standpoint. I have the following and I would like to delete some if I would retain my security.

AVG antivirus
    Avira antivirus
    adaware SE Personal
    spybot
    comodo firewall pro
    spywareblaster
    comodo boclean
    super antispyware

What can I delete and retain my security? How do you compare adaware SE personal and and adaware 2007?

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

First of all NEVER EVER have 2 anti viruses. They can cause major conflicts with both on one computer. Pick one of the two and stick with it. I would add Spyware Terminator for its real time shield and HIPS.

3. bamaman66

bamaman66 Registered Member

I have read different reviews on antivirus programs which do you prefer? Avast had a real low rating on detection one place I read but if you read at another place they might have a high rating.

4. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I myself like Avast Home, it has multiple shields and automatic updates, AVG free is nice and light but has a some what complicated update system IMHO. Avira has really good heuristics. If you want to go pay for one NOD32 is great.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Anti Virus discussions, should be asked in the AntiVirus forum. But please don't ask for opinions on which AV you should use. There is a specific policy posted in the forum, and those threads will be closed immediately.

Thanks,

Pete

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I've also leaned to using Avast Home on my friends' computers due to the multiple shields and because the web scanner. I used Avira Antivir in the past but it has no web scanner though its good heuristics was a plus.

dja2k

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Avast is very good and combine that with free PrevX malware scanner and you have a well rounded protection, Avira free is very good too with its high detection rates and anti rootkit.

8. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi all,

On topic :

Realtime : Antivir Free, Comodo PF and Comodo BOClean
    On demand : SAS

Off topic :

Realtime : OA free, Antivir free, GeSWall free and Threatfire
    On demand : SAS and AVG antispyware

Regards,

MaB

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I agree with MaB, I too would reduce the list to:

Avira antivirus
    comodo firewall pro
    comodo boclean
    super antispyware

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Linux.

11. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Depending on how you use your computer you might consider puting Returnil in there and doing away with most of the rest.
    Retrunil
    Bitdefender Free on demand
    Comodo, if you feel the need for a software firewall.
    Job done.

12. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I would remove AVG,AdAware,and Spybot.
    IMO there are much better choices than AdAware.A-Squared and AVG AntiSpyware are two more that come to mind.

13. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

1. It is pointless having two reputable AV programs installed, and positively contra-indicated to have them both onguard/active.
    So get rid of Avira

2. The same more or less applies to real-time/active anti-spyware and you should not have Comodo BO Clean and Superantispyware active simultaneously. AdAware and Spybot you could keep for on demand scanning alongside Comod BO Clean onguard/active. I would advise against using SpyBot's 'Tea Timer' as it is a resource hog with little real benefit. It's 'Resident' protection is worth keeping.

3. SpywareBlaster is never active after initial start up as all it does is put kill bits into the registry so can be safely and wisely retained.

In conclusion I would therefore do the following if it was my system:

a) Uninstall Avira
    b) Uninstall SuperAntiSpyware
    c) Uninstall AdAware SE Personal and replace with the free version AdAware 2007
    d) Use Mozilla Firefox web browser and only use IE when unavoidable.

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

15. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

16. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Ditch avgfalsesenseofsecurity,adawareibegthediffer,spybotuseless,spywareblasterveryoutdated
    Keep avirahighestproactiveavdefense+itsfree,boclean,comodofwbeatsallleaktests+realgoodterminationprotection,superantispywareonefineappgoinghighplaces.

If i were you id replace comod firewall with online armor free firewall + hips and get the 3/6 month trial of avira suite or premium av. If you get the suite make sure you install everythingh but the firewall in advanced setup so it won't conflict with the other or offcourse no other firewall but avira's.

Cheers m8.

17. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I totally agree with this advice :thumb:. If you run Comodo firewall, BOClean and Avira as your real-time protection, you are pretty much covered. All you need to do is run occasional scans with the above mentioned scanners if you feel the need.

If your a risky surfer, then there are other ways to protect yourself. Sandboxes like Sandboxie and GESWall can protect your system from your browser sessions. Also, partition virtualization programs like Returnil are great.

Cheers,
    innerpeace

18. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

A sandbox is just as important as the av.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

To repeat again in answer to this topic similarily as another not long back and a few pages ago.

You can sandbox + virtualize thereby encompassing and covering both your system and it's security apps. Since i use FD-ISR which IMO increases security way above and beyond by virtue of archiving snapshots to alternative disks or whatever you choose (pen/external drive, dvd?), I sometimes use Power Shadow which virtualizes ALL disks in the chain if you dual or more connect drives, or if you partition a single drive it will cover those too.

With Returnil, you have another efficient prospect at keeping your system secure from permanant internet intrusions with exception of certain floating keyloggers, and is why i also choose to use the free Snoopfree for watching those enthusiasts. There certainly are others, the growing variety of free safety apps around right now makes PC security a users market.

Some like myself choose to mix & match the free with the commercial = as 100% secure as it gets.

Although limited in choices of sandboxes when it comes to free, it's well worth it to sandbox though as mentioned for that extra protection factor.

20. catherin 30

catherin 30 Registered Member

Free software for best security, i suggest

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
    TrueCrypt
    AOL Active Security Monitor
    CCleaner
    ZoneAlarm

21. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

KEEP

Avira antivirus
    spywareblaster
    comodo boclean
    super antispyware

I would also look into Online-Armor v2 free version. It has just been converted to free. It has a good firewall. Here is the thread in firewall section https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=187975.

22. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@Stevie -- An incorrect correction.

*Avira is the set. Avira Antivir-PE is a subset thereof, as are Avira Security Suite & Avira Premium... et alia.

*Specifically, one subset of Avira is free whereas the others are not.

*Therefore, AVPE & Avira are not "one & the same thing," for the same reason that Chevrolet and General Motors are not "one & the same thing."

Meanwhile, to elaborate a bit upon my recommendation of Dynamic Security Agent -- it is a Firewall + HIPS in one nice, compact package . . .

*Firewall- DSA contains layer-3 firewall using Stateful Packet Inspection technology running in the background. Makes ports invisible to port scans and protects unauthorized entry. Also protects for TCP, UDP, ICMP and UDP Protocols.

*HIPS -- DSA has 4 configurable/trainable modules in its interface (System Anomaly, Email Anomaly, Process Detection, and Application Security). DSA's modules detect malware and intrusions based on behavior which is characteristic of unauthorized or non-typical system use.

23. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Bellgamin,

I am afraid you have to try the new Online Armour free. Same ideas as DSA, only you also running SSM Pro, can set OA to not pop-up when running unknown programs.

Regards Kees

24. zhanwest

zhanwest Registered Member

Hi, bamaman66,
    Avira Antivirus with Comodo Firewall Pro (no matter it is 2.4 or 3.0 beta) is good enough. IMO, you do not need other security softwares really.

25. zhanwest

zhanwest Registered Member

OA Free is a good product, strong and easy to use, but note that its idea is different from DSA.
    I think that OA Free is focused on protecting your privacy information from leak, while DSA covers wider range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.