Suggested alternatives to NOD please?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Wolfie138, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfie138

Wolfie138 Registered Member

so after this supposedly "100% capture in the wild" program has now let stuff on my machine three times, and after the "customer service" people have refused to answer my mails even after reminder, i'm looking to move on, as i don't think these people deserve any more of my money.

i hear avast and avg are good, any other thoughts?

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You know of course that NO AV is really 100%. After a review of your posts you sound like a candidate for Sandboxie. You really have to trial some Av alternatives if your still intending to switch. You should also have an imaging program on hand. There are a number of free and paid alternatives to choose from in another forum here at Wilder's.http://www.sandboxie.com/

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Don't know what country you are from but I'm not aware of any issues with responding to tickets. Perhaps you could PM me whom you contacted and what ticket ID the case was assigned so that I can investigate how the ticked was handled.
    As for the missed malware, every vendor misses more or less threats. ESET has great proactive detection with low system footprint and almost no false positives. I deal with malware on a daily basis and can tell that ESET adds detection for new, unrecognized variants very quickly while other new born malware detected by ESET is very often undetected by any of the other competitives. Another question is what malware was not detected as it can be simple batch files or advanced rootkits or ransomware cryptor so the differences in the impact can be very different. I'd suggest submitting those samples to ESET as per the instructions here for further examination and to confirm it's actual malware that should be detected.

4. Wolfie138

thanks but i've had enough of supposed "help" from ESET. no doubt i'd PM you and then hear nothing again.
    fool me once, etc etc.

as for missed malware - well, not everyone touts "100% in the wild success" etc in there ads, do they?

5. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

you obviously have on understanding of the "in the wild" test is - it is a SPECIFIC list of malware.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You might want to look into your surfing habits, learn, and improve them.

7. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Registered Member

Effective computer security is a multi-layered approach in which a good antivirus product is only a part of, not exclusive.

8. Fidelius

Fidelius Registered Member

Links to AV comparative :
    http://www.av-test.org/
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/
    http://www.virusbtn.com/news/index.xml

9. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

First I like to mention that I was in the same boat as you, except that I had a 3 year license. I didn't get mad (ok well I did at first) but then I just evolved and took the layered approach.
    I don't fully trust any solution 100% that's why I run a few and even then I am not 100% convinced and that's why I run Sandboxie with autodelete.

So far NOD32 has been good, it has missed a few samples and it has disappointed me on few occasions, mainly because I have known NOD32 since the pulsating zit version and I have grown accustomed to it's superb performance and light weight....well light weight has gone out the window since 2.7 and the detection performance has also decreased. However, you have to realize that the threat space environment has gone through a massive evolution since the early 2k. It used to be that a simple definitions and heuristics would capture virtually everything since mainly the statistics were in the AV favor; you got at most few hundred samples a week nowdays you get few hundred samples in one hour. So even via statistics alone the ability for any AV to catch anything that is zero-day is amazing. (well ok most of those samples are created via specific program so one can zero in on that program's signature).
    So what does the AV have to do to evolve in terms of detections...in all honesty the signatures and heuristics can only go so far. In the end you will get infected one way or another. The best weapon will now be, how can the new infection be detected after it hits and how well your system will be cured once it's detected. That's why I feel that Webroot SecureAnywhere has a right approach at hand. They have strong heuristics but they also have the ability to monitor any process that they don't trust. So if eventually that process turns out to be melicious, the webroot software can revert all the steps performed by that process since it's inception.

Now, both NOD32 and Webroot Secure Anywhere are light solutions. As such I would recommend that you keep your NOD32 installed on your system and just supplement it with Webroot Secure Anywhere.

10. Wolfie138

Thanks Grammaton, good advice i guess.

great film that, by the way :)

11. focus

focus Registered Member

This is an interesting solution, which WSA product are you using, just the AV or one of the more "complete" solutions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.