Suggest software to launch program/file *after* startup routine has completed.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by paulescobar, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulescobar

paulescobar Registered Member

I would like a Windows 7 compatible software that can let me manipulate the "startup" routine in a particular way.

So you all know that during "startup" of Windows, many "autoruns" & "services" are loaded. I know there are many softwares available to manipulate or delay the launch of these startup items. But that is not exactly what I'm looking for.

I would like something more specific. I would like a software that can "sense" when the startup routine has completed...and then launch a user-specified program or file.

An example scenario: I have the XBMC media software installed on my HTPC. I would like it to be launched at startup. The problem is that if I include it in the normal startup routine, other startup items load & cause XBMC to minimize in the taskbar. Hence, I only want it to launch AFTER all other startup items have loaded...so that it is displayed without interruption.

Is there any software (paid or free) that can accomplish this?

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

What wrong with just using a software to delay loading XBMC?

3. paulescobar

That was just one example. I have other scenarios in mind.

I don't like "time-delayed loading" or "rearranging items" because I have different systems (with different startup routines). Hence, for each, I would have to calculate the appropriate delay/order.

I would like a program that automatically calculates the best "moment to launch" depending on the completion of the startup routine.

Again, I know this is a very peculiar request.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I found Startup Delayer and it lets you start a process after another list of process(es) has completed loaded. It might work for you.

5. paulescobar

WSFuser,

I am in the process of testing this software.

But I have a general question, for you or any other knowledgeable person.

Is there any risk to setting a sequence for loading of auto-run programs (non-Microsoft...this one before that one...etc.)?

I assume not, because it is said that Windows simply loads these programs "at once". Hence, there should be no concern about "dependencies" or "pre-requisites". Is this a correct assumption to have?

6. southcat

southcat Registered Member

Startup Delayer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.