Sues Microsoft for $600M after a forced Windows upgrade destroyed his PC

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Circuit, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

2. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Ok, I can get with a law suit for the unsolicited upgrade destroying his PC, but $600 million?!

3. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

I dont know how the judicial process works in the USA, but in my country it would be hilarious and tragic if someone loses a $600 million lawsuit; he would need to pay at least $ 6 million of legal fees.

4. JoWazzoo

JoWazzoo Registered Member

In the states for this type of suit 50 % or so goes to Lawyer. When the tobacco lawsuit was settles here, 315 lawyers became billionaires.

5. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

I had a PC did that too !! I didnt usually use that one but I decided to download a linux distro to it, so I hooked it up to the internet not considering it would do anything with Windows Update.
    So I start my linux download then a while later I take a look at it, my linux has downloaded and there is a windows update thing telling me it wants to reboot so I did that but then it wont power up, its completely dead, just made 3 beeps, nothing else. I took it apart checked the power supply, its working fine, so I started pulling out devices one at a time, and re trying it. Didnt matter what I did, it wouldnt power up. In the end I gave up on it and relegated it to my box of PC parts.

6. Andytay70

Andytay70 Registered Member

lol
    I could say i have 5 windows 7 PC's and all got trashed! I wouldnt need to work again:D

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Microsoft forced me to upgrade to a beta version of Windows 10 Creators update during final exams week, and the updates had major issues. I was left with non functional computers for 4 days, and had to reschedule my final exams. I tried everything possible to stop the upgrade process with no luck. Windows did not take any regard to the update settings that was configured.

Also, two years ago Microsoft introduced bugs to Windows 7 update feature which made it impossible for me to connect to Microsoft update servers. I tried downloading the updates from Microsoft, and installing them manually, and that also failed. I reformated the 3 machines I was using, and none of them was able to connect to Microsoft update servers. I tried installing the updates manually again, and was only able to install a few of them before I ran into problem. I contacted Microsoft Support, and they informed me to use my machine without Security patches, or Service Packs. I was informed that installing Security patches is only a Security myth. I informed them how ridiculous their statement was. The lady continued to try to convince me of such none sense.

To make a long story short, after many hours Microsoft upper tier tech support was unable to install the patches remotely, and informed me that they had identified several bugs in their software that would have to be fixed before I would be able to update my OS again. They also informed me that I had not been able to connect to their update servers due to a server side bug so their was nothing I could do until they fixed the problem. They informed me they had no ideal how long it would be before they would fix the issue. I had not been able to connect to Microsoft update server for several months so I was forced to upgrade to Windows 10.

Shortly after that I learned that many people in my area was having the same exact problem. Microsoft does not care about their home users. They did not care about any of the problems they was causing for me. It was not their problem if I failed out of school. I hope they get their butt handed to them.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Even when you booted from a USB Drive, Memory Card or DVD/CD Drive? You couldn't install Linux?

9. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

lol what an idiot... this is a personal laptop that he only just bought and "immediatley" updated to windows 10 and then became non functional..

in this case he wouldn't of even had time to load any data that could of been lost (personal info/pictures etc)

I can understand if this was a business who's server and entire DR & backup infrastructure was wiped out by a Microsoft issue (even then it woul dbe down to the IT team to ensure DR/backups are solid)

but a lone personal guy for home use going after 600M! I hope he gets counter sued and loses everything the chump!

10. RockLobster

It wouldnt even power up never mind boot from anything.

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

If a laptop unplug take out battery, press & hold power button 30 sec, wait 5 min, put battery in, plugin, turn it on. If desktop try new CMOS battery or new PSU.

12. RockLobster

It's probably his lawyers, most times the lawyers recommend to the client what kind of sum they should sue for.

13. RockLobster

Yeah I did all that.
    If I remember correctly it would begin to power up, the fan would spin up then it would beep a few times and shut off the power.
    Tested the PSU, voltage was correct.
    Tried a new cmos battery.
    I tried different RAM
    Tried powering up after removing all the drives,
    I stripped it down completely to its component parts, attempting power up after removing each device to see if there was any difference.
    I then reassembled it. Still the same.
    The only thing I didnt do, that I could have, was change out the CPU.
    It some point I'll probably get a motherboard from ebay.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  14. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

Just a drop in the bucket (chump change) for ms.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Glad you tried all that. A cheapo, overloaded or bad PSU can cause just about any problem at any time & even intermittently which is extremely aggravating. GL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.