Suddenly Unalocated Hard Drive

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Buratino, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buratino

Buratino Registered Member

Please help me with this major problem for me. Recently I needed to reinstall Windows XP. I had 2 hard drives with 3 partitions, made by someone here at job that didnt know my necesity. So, I had the first hard drive with partition C with windows and partition D with files. I had the second hard drive with letter E, one partition. I needed to renistall windows and make one partition on the first drive (i need more space on C). So, after reinstalling windows on the first drive, mergining the 2 partitions into one, it saw the second drive as unallocated space. I have some necesarly information on it. I run Disk Director and didnt show me any hard to recover. After this I run MBR and that's it. Still it says unallocated drive. Please, can you help me with inforation? I need to have data back. Thank you a lot for your time reading it and excuse my english.
    Bura

Sorry for posting it 2 times.

2. ravin

ravin Registered Member

Re: Sudenly Unalocated Hard Drive

you could try taking out drive two (E) and slave it up in another system. should be able to see the info on it.

3. Buratino

I did this but on the other computer I had the same problem: unallocated space

4. ravin

ravin Registered Member

here's something else you can try.

Rescanning Disks
    Rescanning all drives on a system updates the drive configuration information on the computer. It can sometimes resolve problems with drives that show a status of Unreadable.

You rescan disks on a computer by selecting Rescan Disk from Disk Management's Action menu.

5. Buratino

Hey, thnx a lot for your advices and for your interest to solve my problem. That thing with rescan didnt work either. But from some miracle, Recover My Files worked, after i tried like 20 times before, when I said is the last time when I do, IT WORKED. I recovered like 90% from my drive. I still do not have an answer why and what happend (to avoid in the future), but next time ill back up not only th hard drives, but the DVD's too, and the back up of back up's of DVD's, :).
    Ana

6. ravin

ravin Registered Member

your welcome for my thoughts and responses. Do you think that doing rescan disks before trying restore your files may have helped? This much I know about second drives -- they contain a boot.ini file that tells the system what drive it is. so by changing the first drive from two partitions to one you got new drive assignments IE (E) probably became (D) and it did not match the boot.ini file. another solution I was going to suggest was changing the drive letter assignment back to (E). anyways glad things are working out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.