Sudden loss of all disk space, is my SSD dying?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ratchet, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Over lunch my 120gb SSD went from 87gbs free space to a few MB. I restored from a Paragon image I had. What could have caused this? The only clue I "might" have is this past week I installed the latest version of CCleaner which now includes a dupe cleaner. I used it, examined the dupes and deleted them. A day or so later I had a strange PC freeze which has never happened since I built this in May. I just used W7 System Restore and all was good. Installed new CC version again and used the dupe cleaner again. If the removing a duplicate is causing either of these phenomenas it doesn't happen immediately. Any theories and thank you!

2. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Personally I would download and install Treesize Free and run it to see what is taking up the space:

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Also you may want to use some Disk Partitioning software to see if unbeknownst to you a partition was created that you could ax.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

No theory, but I don´t trust dupe cleaners. The same file can be needed in different places by different programs. Why not?

4. guest

guest Guest

Did you watch "TV" on that system? I am using DVBViewer and if you accidentally are pressing the "record" key of course your SSD would over hours (but not over lunch?) get smaller and smaller. :D - Another idea: do you have virtuagirl installed in P2P-Mode? :D - Maybe your OS was taking all this place for backup purposes? I had this on a system of a neighbor. Partition D was almost at zero free MB because of that backup function. But that took months not one lunch. ;) - Or did you start a benchmark that did not delete it's testfiles?

Don't know how you will find out for sure now what happened if you already restored a backup. But strange thing and very frightening, I give you that. :eek:

5. ratchet

Thank you for the replies! All does now indeed seem normal. I used the Kingston (SSD) tool and it shows the drive (and all its attributes as being 100% healthy. If it was malware it got past both Norton A-V and Malwarebytes Pro.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Perhaps CCleaner is overwriting free space with 0s or whatever, and your SSD is seeing that as used space?

7. ratchet

I've never used the secure delete option but I'll check to make sure it wasn't accidentally enabled.

edit: After reading these posts, more than ever I believe it was CCleaners new duplicate cleaner!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.