Sudden freezes after installing NOD32

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by haerdalis, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haerdalis

haerdalis Registered Member

Hello.. I've tried searching the forums, but I can't seem to find anything regarding this somewhat strange issue.

After I bought and installed .642 I've encountered 3-4 total freezes, the latest was when making a backup with TrueImage.

I use Nod32 (w/excluded firewall dirs), Outpost firewall Pro 4 (newest version 4) as my security.

When I make backups, defrag etc I completely exit Outpost, disable protection in Nod32, but still, the freezes was introduced with nod32 (I've not experienced a single freeze on this computer before. It's a year old).

This makes me a bit worried for my data as such freezes isn't possible to revive without a hard reset, which might be damaging any data the defragger has read but not written, etc..

Has anyone experienced this, and if so, do you have some suggestions?

2. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

please note when ever you make a thread allways tell this also
    1.OS(2KSP?.XPSP?.VISTA)
    2.DID YOU EVER INSTALL ANY OTHER ANTIVIRUS
    3.HOW MUCH RAM

3. haerdalis

Oh sorry, 1. Windows XP32 SP2 w/all updated
    2. Yes, Kaspersky AV 7, completely uninstalled, following all recommendation for its removal.
    3. 3GB RAM, AMD Athlon 64 X2.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  4. guest

guest Guest

I have the same or similar problem. That's the reason why I uninstalled every build of v3 so far after a while. Computer sometimes (not always) did freeze after the desktop picture was drawn and taskbar was "busy" - computer doing nothing after that. I had to hard boot. With older builds of v3 I had a high chance of getting into the system during next boot. But because of the struggle I unactivated Nod32 in safe boot (F8 ) and then uninstalled it during the next always working normal boot.

Days before I installed the newest build of v3 which is the same as you could download today. All was working fine for a few days! I thought, that bug or whatever it is would be solved. But of course today the same problem again. Tried to hardboot 3 times, but it wouldn't boot further. Just freezed again and again. I uninstalled it the same way and reinstalled for the 5th (?) time v2.70.39 which works without any problem. My subscription ends in april and I don't know what to do. I fear that v3 never will run as smooth and error free like 2.70.

- german Windows XP SP2 (all patches)
    - Only other security product: PrevX v2 build 127 (newest)
    - Athlon64 3400+ 1 GB RAM

Hopefully I am wrong with my fears. ;)

p.s.: I experienced the same freezing problem in the past with another computer (of my uncle),
    he runs also PrevX 2 as the 2nd security solution parallel to Nod32. We switched there also back
    to 2.70.39

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  5. haerdalis

I guess a little more detail is necessary to explain what I mean by a "total freeze".

I have no problem with booting, starting programs etc, but suddenly everything stops working, including the mousepointer, and this is how it stays until a hard reboot.

I haven't managed to notice if there is some similarities in the freezes, and it doesn't happen very often, but I'd guess they're all related to nod32 because I've never had any freezes at all before installing it.

6. proactivelover

sudden freezes is due to a driver failure
    if you think this freezes related to EAV v3
    please install v2 and use it two or three days then tell us if problem still exist

7. wibo

wibo Registered Member

Same here, sudden freezes.
    Can move only my mouse.
    All windows are frozen.

I have Win xp pro - 1024 mb ram.
    Eset release: .642
    great new interface, very clear.

This is my first install of the v3 release.
    I hope they will resolve it, otherwise I will go back to v. 2.7 as well.

Can it be a conflict with Windows defender?

8. capatt

capatt Registered Member

The same has been happening to me. No other issues, just freezes after it's been up for a couple hours.

Win XP SP2
    Online Armor
    Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ
    4 GB RAM

9. proactivelover

all those people who have freez issue please do this and tell if this make any change's
    uncheck advanced heuristics on realtime protection

Attached Files:

• 2332.jpg
      2332.jpg
      File size:
      72.6 KB
      Views:
  10. wibo

wibo Registered Member

@proactivelover

It was already disabled.

11. proactivelover

Attached Files:

• sss.jpg
      sss.jpg
      File size:
      57.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2008
  12. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Question :
    If it sudden freezes, try to open Taskmanager (ctrl/alt/del) and take a look at the CPU usage of ekrn.exe.

13. wibo

wibo Registered Member

There is no excesive use op CPU when there is a sudden freeze.
    BTW just before i had again a freeze. :(

Don't know what to do, going back to 2.7 or waiting a new v.3 release.

14. wibo

wibo Registered Member

All people with freezes:
    Which firewall use you?
    Which antispyware use you?

I use jetico free and windows defender.

15. capatt

capatt Registered Member

Online Armor (paid). No other security software besides NOD32 v3

16. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Make sure you aren't running something that needs the Java Runtime Environment. Web sites that utilize Java jump my CPU to 100% with the obvious total freeze. If I add the Java program file to System Protection Exclusions this problem does not occur. I had not tried disabling Advanced H. This is a problem that has materialized since v.642.

17. wibo

wibo Registered Member

I have no troubles with CPU usage.

I have a lot of these settings in my Event viewer:

The Eset Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: Restart the service.

What doest that mean?

18. wibo

wibo Registered Member

I went back to 2.7.
    I noted that when Eset was active, firefox 3b3 didn't show up.
    When I uninstalled version eset v3, firefox 3b3 worked fine.
    When I installed version 2.7, firefox 3b3 didn't show up again.

Eset is incompatible with firefox version 3 beta release?

Another problem I noted was that Windows defender service was closed in the service manager when Eset started.

-----------

Beside the freezes
    I had a 95-100% cpu usage with scanning on demand so I'm happy to be back again in v.2.7, deluded because I really like the v.3 interface.

19. essence25

essence25 Registered Member

I have the exact problem. Windows 2003 Server R2 with NOD32 Business ed.

Once installed I get strange 1-3 days later lockups. Computer is frozen and nothing can be done except reset button. Went though many testing stages but never suspected it was NOD32, I was even going to RMA the board. Then I saw this post and voilla problem solved once removed.

Nice antivirus but if stability is affected is not worth a dime. Once NOD32 was removed everything is fine. Of course I also had the bad packets error 6004 in the event viewer all the time with NOD32 3.x installed.

This is absolutely unacceptable. This A/V software is far from being ready for a production server.

Board I use is Supermicro C2SBX.

20. wibo

wibo Registered Member

I've uninstalled the Version 3 and installed the 2.7 version again and have no freezes anymore.

I agree with essence25. It is is absolutely unacceptable to put such a software as release on the market. It is a beta release and not a upgrade release.
    I've losen a lot of time to find what was the reason my computer froze as did essence25, then I found it was nod32.

ps: essence25 are you using firefox 3 as browser, jetico as firewall, windows defender as anti-spyware?

21. capatt

capatt Registered Member

I discovered that my freezes occurred during defrags with Perfectdisk 2008. When I temporarily deactivated antivirus/antispyware during a defrag, there were no more freezes requiring a hard power-off reboot.

22. haerdalis

sorry for a seriously late answer, I've been rather busy lately..

It seems 2.7 do solve the freeze problem
    I can't be too sure it doesn't have the same behaviour yet, I've just used it a week or so.

I'm hoping the issues will be fixed before long though. 3.0 do seem to have it's advantages.

I use Outpost Firewall Pro 4 with NOD32 (someone asked for it earlier in the thread).

23. essence25

I don't think it was specifically due to the particular defrag program you've used. I've found this after many days of watching the server lockup behavior. The problem seems to be related to heavy disk access while nod32 is installed. I did noticed it locked quicker while defragging than just with normal file transfers. In my case it locked up while nod32 was disabled also.(this is why I never suspected nod32) I tried disktrix defrag and same lockups occured. Its been 5 days since I've removed nod32 3.x completely and no more lockups on my machine and no reboots needed. Gave me a good scare until I figured out who was the culprit, since this was a brand new hi-perf server we've set up. Typically I was able to stay up 1-2 days before machine randomly locked up and a reset was imminent.
    Do you get the Event ID: 6004 errors also ?

24. essence25

No firefox3 for me yet, since the malicious check engine is not yet implemented in the beta. Hardware firewall, yes.

25. ignote

ignote Registered Member

My ekrn.exe goes to high cpu when I open apps like turbo tax. This is for v3 621 and the latest. When it goes to high cpu everything freezes and I have to kill the ekrn process. This is only possible if I already have task manager open. Otherwise I have to reset the computer to fix this.

I also have threatfire running on my computer. When threatFire is suspended, ekrn.exe does not go to high cpu when turbo tax is opened. It looks to me like there is some compatibility issue between nod32 v3 and threatFire.

Any thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.