successful install :)

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by poogimmal, Jun 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poogimmal

poogimmal Registered Member

I ran the demo port explorer on backup pc for couple weeks and I liked it and found it more informative than eg sysinternals tcpview(free) (sysinternals has some good stuff too!). the purchase, DL, install of PE all went smooth as could be and PE is running AOK as expected on primary w2k box. now to read the finer points in help file. also a TDS3 happy user. It's nice to be happy as sometimes software can do unexpected things (I've had some problems with Process Guard on my w2k box, cannot decide to just forget about using PG or rebuild the box). TDS3 works, PE works, makes me think that some very hidden malcode is messing with PG but that's a long story for another forum). while I'm at it, I must say that DCS has given me excellent support with my PG problem (even though we have not nailed it down). Thanks! (& now I must consider WG and maybe CS)

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there, sounds all good!
    For sure somehow the problem with ProcessGuard will be found, whatever it is.
    One keeps creating logs, scanning, and searching, AutoStartViewer, the TDS tests, maybe there is nothing, maybe there is some setting, a driver making problems, never know which little things bugger us.
    Anyway, glad to hear your other software runs smooth!
    BTW: did you have problems with both the trial and the registered version of ProcessGuard?

3. poogimmal

I was gung ho happy with TDS3 and my notes show I jumped right in with registered version of Process Guard without a demo, but I'm not 100% sure about that. w2k would be seemingly ok with PG for hours, sometimes days, then at irregular and unexpected times it would blackscreen crash/reboot. I suspect some aspect of av, symantec corp edition 8.1, but that is speculation. I tried to uninstall sav8.1 and install NOD32, and my box did not like that either. might have been something less dramatic like wrong config setting somewhere in PG. Gavin was patient and helpful. after some weeks of this, I decided it was useless to run PG on this box, and I'm considering rebuilding w2k from scratch on a differnt hdd. the only anomaly I've seen with TDS3 is that I keep a copy of GRC leaktest exe and zip on hdd, and on 2 occasions TDS3 did not alarm to leaktest when doing full scan. normally it finds both. unclear how that could have happened. < 1% of me still suspects some type of nasty very hidden malcode, but no indication of that from Port Explorer :) meanwhile, someone at GRC suggested SSM from Russia as an older and more friendly version of PG -- a post for another forum and thread :)

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi again, i said in another thread i don't believe in a piece of malware, but i'm not 100% sure of that.
    I think more of a configuration somewhere but the malware possibility or a piece of normal software misbehaving is possible.
    With the SAV you know it's almost impossible to uninstall that all completely without a trace, so that can be an important part of the problem. NOD32 not working nice on your box either? Thought that works about on anything and with anything, maybe the unisntalls forced you to use LSPfix?
    Now i get suspicious about what is on your box, if it was not damaged by that SAV uninstall and maybe former uninstalls of other software (did you install it over a former NAV for instance without uninstalling it completely?)
    Maybe not a bad idea to start from scartch again if i hear this and please no NAV/SAV on it at all.

Port Explorer would show you malware connecting to the outside world, not for running malware just running on your system. But TDS would disable execution from such stuff too.

5. poogimmal

I cannot "certify" the code on the hdd, which is also leading me toward redo from scratch. I let a tech friend install the original w2k, and hard to recall what the original av was, but shortly thereafter I used kaspersky 4.0 for about a year. then some issue arose and again tech friend did some sort of reinstall of w2k but not a full wipe. at time I did not have good backup and I think he thought he was doing me a favor by saving what he could. he then suggested SAV8.1. I have no real complaint with SAV, but I do think it is the most likely problem for Process Guard. So I removed it, and installed NOD32, which worked ok for maybe a day, but then that acted a little strange, and I restored a full image of c:\ with SAV without PG. so I do think that it's SAV not playing nice with PG, and SAV does not want to be uninstalled from this box. so yes, there's at least a 50/50 chance I'm going to start from scratch without SAV. having said that, the current config with SAV, TDS3, Port Explorer and now WormGuard, all work fine. no real issues, very stable and SAV does stop viruses. so for me it's a 2-part question or logic. should I really care that PG does not run well if box otherwise stable and seemingly secure, but I'm not happy that I cannot document all the code on the hdd, which tips in favor of me building a new c:\ on a CLEAN hdd.

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

A maybe not completely uninstalled SAV with NOD together does maybe cause problems, not related to NOD but a combinaton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.