"Successful" Adaptive Restore, but Windows XP will not run

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by leighwardle, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leighwardle

leighwardle Registered Member

Hi all,

I am using Adaptive Restore (via my newly purchased Paragon Hard Disk Manager 11 Suite).

I am attempting to make a Windows XP system bootable on dissimilar hardware.
    During Adaptive Restore a dialog asked me to select the location of Drivers.cab on my original Windows CD-ROM. I selected \i386.
    After a while the process reported Adaptive Restore as successful.

But the Windows XP system on dissimilar hardware displays the splash screen then reboots.
    Is there anything I can do to fix this situation?

Regards,
    Leigh

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Did you try to use automatic mode to adjust OS for booting from dissimilar hardware?
    Does it work?

In most cases it is enough to disable non-generic drivers and use corresponding version from Windows repository (it should be located automatically w\o any user input)

Do you have any PC manufacturer CD with drivers? Maybe it is better to use it instead of Windows installation CD?

3. leighwardle

leighwardle Registered Member

Hi,

It's a long story...

I also tried using Acronis True Image Home with Plus Pack.
    I couldn't get the Universal Restore option for the new target hardware.
    After getting technical help from Acronis I ran chkdsk on the source hard drive - this reported some errors that were fixed.
    After the source drive was fixed, the Universal Restore option for the new target hardware worked.

And the original problem - the Windows XP system on the target hardware displaying the splash screen then rebooting - was fixed.

I am not going to pursue using Paragon for this project, but I suspect the problem was due to the source disk corruption - and was not related to Adaptive Restore.

Regards,
    Leigh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.