Success with Acronis and Vista

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mikebore, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikebore

mikebore Registered Member

Just thought I would report that I have made an image of a Vista drive and restored it to another drive successfully. It boots fine on the new drive.

I did it all booted from a CD not with Acronis installed in Vista.

Mike

2. jelenko

jelenko Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

If you get brave enough to install Acronis on Vista, would you also post the results?

Thanks

PS. Are you in the Beta testers/CTP program?

3. mikebore

I am using the recently released Vista Public beta 2, available free from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.aspx

My main work is with three macs, so I can afford to take risks on my PC (Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop). So far Vista has been very stable and runs all the progs I have tried on it except Adobe Bridge (but Photoshop CS2 is OK). It seems to play more nicely with my Macs on the network.

i started off with a dual boot arrangement with XP which worked but the Vista partition kept reporting file system errors, and space was a bit tight. Now I have XP and Vista on separate physical HDs. I can change the HD between XP and Vista faster than rebooting. I certainly wouldn't advocate Vista as prime use OS yet, except as a play-area/learning experience, but there is a lot to like about it. One feature of interest in this forum is that it has built-in ability to make a disk image of the whole drive for backup and restore purposes.

I will try Trueimage directly installed, but haven't yet because of reading here that it wasn't compatible, and having the alternative of running from the DVD.

Mike

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  4. mikebore

Acronis won't install in Vista beta 2, but continues to work well booted from the CD

5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

TI can make an image of most any drive independently of the OS on the drive.
    Did you run TI within Vista?

6. d.chatten

d.chatten Registered Member

I have successfully installed TI9.0.3666 on my Windows Vista system, i can create and validate an image of my system drive (Vista) from within Vista, i have also restored that same image initiated from within Vista, however when the system restarts after the restoration i get a message on the screen that says Windows was not shutdown properly and do i want to start Windows normaly, also on the screen are all the options you would get when you press F8 to choose the OS or to start in safe mode, etc:, when i sellect to start Windows normaly then the system boots into Windows as normal.
    I was however able to create and restore an image of Vista successfully with no messages asking me if i want to start Windows normaly using the TI boot media.
    There is another issue that i noticed, i couldn't mount any images as a virtual HDD becase TI couldn't assign the drive letters.

I'm using a motherboard with an Intel chipset so maybe this is one of the reasons i managed to install and run TI9 with Vista.

Hope this helps someone!

7. fawny

fawny Registered Member

As a new user of Acronis, how do you make an image of a partition or hard drive without acronis being installed?

Thank you

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Use the boot (recovery) CD. It contains a Linux memory-resident OS with the TI program that can create, validate and restore images.

9. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

what seekforever says is absolutely true...it works. Acronis' policy is, however, that you need a license for each computer, even if you only use the 'rescue CD ' for one of them.

10. doxtr111

doxtr111 Registered Member

It works and has worked great every time I've really needed it. Last night I used it to restore XP after deciding I'll not again upgrade with vista. Drove me nuts after upgrading with all the permisssions, etc. even though as the owner I had fully rights, blah, blah, blah. Yup, TI rules for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.