Success Ratio: Clean & Delete

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by uc-icq, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

We all know what 'clean' and 'delete' mean in the terminology of antivirus sphere. My question is, how well is the chance for an antivirus program to actually succeed in cleaning and restoring the functionality of an infected file, rather than simply deleting it?

Assume that an executable is infected and partially overwritten by malicious codes, but it still functions untouched, what are the odds for an AV to successfully clean it without inflicting further damages to itself and making it unrecoverable?

Thanks for your comments and insightful remarks.

2. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

It seems there's no definite answer to this question yet? Any comments from a technical perspective, say approx. 20% malwares can be cleaned/restored? Thanks.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If it is a virus that infects files and if the AV product knows a cleaning algorythm for it , then the AV can remove the infected part of the infected file and the file will work . I have had two or three cases with NOD32 when there is a virus infecting files and it was successful cleaning . I don't know of any statistics about successful rate :)

However , there is a virus -> W32/Parite.B , for which it is much better to have proactive protection because it must be caught early to save the files.When run , it slowly infects all EXE and SCF and destroys them by overwriting them completely.

4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

You usually only need to clean viruses, and since they are a pretty dead breed by now it shouldn't be anything you need to worry about.
    Todays threats are all worms, trojans, rootkits etc. Of course there are new viruses appearing but it's been a long time since I've seen one.

Well that's my view on the matter anyway.

5. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Thanks. I just did a little digging and came to know that I was actually referring to a particular type of virus known as parasitic viruse or file virus. That cleared things up for me. Thank again.

6. itimhot

itimhot Registered Member

Thank You

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.