Success! Easy disk cloning done.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bob_M, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob_M

Bob_M Guest

Just thought people would like to hear some good news...

I wanted to switch from an 80Gb two partition drive to a 200Gb. TI did it easily.

I set the 80Gb as slave, installed the barebone 200Gb as Master and rebooted with the rescue CD. I told TI to clone the 80Gb, expand the partitions proportionately and then wipe the data on the 80. After a reboot I was back in XP with some breathing space (grin).

That was the easiest disk migration I've ever done and almost worth the purchase price alone. Well done Acronis.

Bob M.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bob,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Glad to hear Acronis True Image worked fine for you. Hope you will never encounter any problems with our software in future.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. soons

soons Guest

That sounds great Bob. I hope I have as easy a time as you. Here's what I need to do:
    Installing new 160 GB drive. I have a 120 GB now with c: and d: partitions. I will clone the 120 and then delete the d: partition and expand the c: partition to use all 160 GB. I will then remove the c: partition from the older drive and expand the d: partition to full size of 120 GB on it. Question for tech support: When I reboot after doing this, what should I do then with the old disk. It will still be labeled as c: boot up drive until I remove that c: partition. Won't that cause some confusion during the boot process? Will the computer and windows xp know that I want to boot from the newest drive? I'm using True Image and Disk Director 9.0.

Thanks!

4. Acronis Support

Hello soons,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We recommend that you remove the old drive once you have cloned it to the new one. Please note that once you set up the cloning and the computer reboots you shouldn't perform any hardware changes because the actual cloning will be performed only after reboot. After you clone the drive you may manage the partitions using Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0. There will be no problem with drive letters because each copy of Windows will have its own system of letters, partition C being system partition in each case.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. soons

soons Guest

Ilya, thanks for the quick response. How do you think this scenario will work: I clone my present drive to the new, and remove all data from the old as part of the operation. Once the new drive is working as the boot drive, will it be a simple process using Disk Director to move and delete the d: partition from the new drive, increase the size of c: partition on the new drive, and move the d: partition to the old drive which should now be bare? Or can you think of a better way? Basically, I'm want to use the new drive as c:, the old drive as d: As it stands the present drive has c: and d: partitions. I 'd like to separate them but it's confusing to me!

Thanks!

6. Acronis Support

Hello soons,

I think the following way would be the simplest one:
    1. Clone the drive in Automatic mode (choose to keep data on the source disk);
    2. Boot with the new drive, delete D: partition, increase C: partition. You will be asked to reboot the computer;
    3. Reboot the computer from the new drive again, delete the first partition on the old drive, increase the second partition on the old drive.

Please note that you may need to assign letters for the partition on the old drive manually using Disk Management (Right click on "My Computer" -> "Manage" -> "Disk Management").

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. soons

soons Guest

One more question; as I'm doing the rebooting of the new drive, should I still have the old one connected? If not, how can I go about removing the c: partition on the old drive and increase the d: partition on the old drive? Sorry if I'm a bother with this, I just want to make sure I don't fubar anything up. Thanks very much for your patience.

8. Acronis Support

Hello soons,

To prevent any possible problems please boot the computer with Acronis Disk Director Suite Bootable CD after you clone the drive, choose Manual Mode, then right click on the old (not new!) disk, choose "Advanced" -> "Edit". Choose "View" -> "As Partition Table". Find the "Windows NT serial number" entry and change it (replace any symbol with any other). Then submit all the changes and reboot the computer. This will allow you to use both disks at once.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.