Subscription pricing model

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jfath, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfath

jfath Registered Member

Let's face it - Acronis True Image uses a subscription pricing model.

I've been a customer since TI8 and each release cycle has been the same:
    1) New release drops. Current customers are offered a small discount on upgrades regardless of how recently they purchased.
    2) Customers report major problems. Was the 'release' a beta?
    3) Minor release drops with fixes for crashes and major bugs
    4) Customers continue to report small and medium bugs
    5) Acronis promises release to fix outstanding bugs
    6) Goto 1

On second thought, a subscription always gives you at least a year of upgrades, so this model is actually less fair to the customer.

It's a shame because the product is great when it works.

Jerry

2. layman

layman Registered Member

I wish that were true. Then they wouldn't feel the need to degrade the product by adding features of marginal utility, could focus on correcting defects, and improve the user interface. This product is gaining a reputation for persistent brokenness - almost, but never quite, great. I think my two licenses may sit out vn. 11.

In order to survive, a software company must have an ongoing revenue stream. Unfortunately, Acronis is using the contrived-release approach to generate their stream. I prefer my NOD32 subscription because eSet doesn't feel obliged to regularly tack on extra crap! Added features can be the kiss of death when it comes to software quality. Sadly, Acronis appears to learn very little from this forum, which should be as valuable a resource for their management as it is for their customers.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I could not have put it better myself.

Xpilot

4. jaypeecee

jaypeecee Registered Member

Hi Folks,

It's only a matter of time before Acronis will have to listen to their customers and I agree with layman that this Forum should be seen by them as 'the voice of the customer'. If they don't sit up and listen soon, I'm convinced that Acronis will see their market share slowly ebbing away.

Come on, Acronis, many of the contributors on this Forum are your most loyal customers. As a new customer myself, I'd like to continue using ATI but I do have a choice just like everyone else. Your slogan is Acronis - Compute with Confidence. I'm struggling with the 'confidence' bit at present.

JPC

5. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

I would happily pay a yearly subscription for a reliable imaging program, which True Image 10 has been for me. I frequently restore several times a day, and have not once had a problem.

However, I personally have no use for the added features, and am dismayed, after looking at the trial of V11, to see more being tacked on, especially since Acronis has done such a poor job of supporting the added features. A perfect example of this poor support is the backup feature “My Application Settings.” In my opinion, this feature has no merit, but as Acronis has continued it in V11, it will serve for an example.

When this feature was released with V10, it listed a total of 134 script files corresponding to the applications TI supported. I’ve read many posts where Acronis has stated that the list will be updated in future releases. With V11, the total has gone to 200. However, the Zone Alarm version listed is 6.5; the 7.0 ZA series, first released in January 2007, is not listed. How sad. More important, do the V10 users that use this feature have to pay for V11 to get 66 additional script files added to the list?

I completely agree with the other posts in this thread that Acronis is heading in a direction that will cost them business in the long run, and possibly degrade the quality of the imaging process, as they concentrate on add-ons. Like many others, I wish Acronis would offer a version for imaging only. Sticking with V10.

CatFan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.