Streaming Video - Dialup

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by toploader, Sep 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toploader

toploader Registered Member

hi i use a dialup connection - this is fine for 95% of my surfing - the only problem i have is playing streaming video. typically a 5 second chunk of video is downloaded and played - then the video stops and waits for the next 5 second chunk and so on - so i can watch the video but it is stop start stop start etc
    the buffering is not sufficient to allow the video to play smoothly.

does anyone know anyway to improve performance here?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Unless you can download the entire file and then play it you are pretty much stuck with the slower aspects of dialup. :doubt:

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i have a very, very fast dial up 2.2Mbps my downloads with leechget, even after about half an hour can be up to 60KB/s. but, i sometimes have that problem too with streams. some of the time there's a pause button you can click, while it's paused it will be downloading the stream, when it's near the end i restart the stream and have no problems watching it.

going off topic for a second i'd use leechget in IE for large downloads if i were you it is much quicker for dialup. with my free version i can download, i think up to 8 downloads at a time, i got it about 8/9 months ago. but i installed it at my Father's the other day and it said i could only have 1 download at a time now. is it a new version they just brought out that only supports one download? and i suppose the shareware version lets you use more at a time o_O

4. toploader

thanks for your reply BigC - dialup can cope with streaming radio - video is just a bit too much for it - most of streaming video is not downloadable - unless anyone knows of a tool that can save streaming video to disk? or can increase the buffer sizes?

5. toploader

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

That is the fastest dialup I have ever heard of. In The USA dialup is limited by federal law to 53k

8. WSFuser

its also faster than my dsl line. in addition 2.2mbps connection should have a theoretical max throughoutput of 275KBps.

9. toploader

thanks for that WSFuser - i was thinking of framing the question "does anybody know of a plugin that can grab embedded video?" but i didn't think there were any - i will give it a try when i have some time - thanks :)

10. toploader

i've tried to install it but it doesn't seem to want to? double click on the download button does nothing - right click + save link, downloads it but won't install - asks me what i want to install it with? normally the install process is fully automatic?

11. toploader

might give this a go when they sort out their video compression algorithms onspeed

or i could just go broadband :D

12. toploader

13. WSFuser

if ur referring to download embedded extension, just right click on the site (not the media itself) or got to the tools menu, and click download embedded. u can then save/download it.

14. toploader

i found out that firefox was blocking the download for security reasons - it's installed now - i tried a test with a sample flash file in a website and it worked fine - thanks for your help WSFuser :)

15. toploader

while we are on the subject of downloaders - does anyone rate the flashgot firefox extension?

16. WSFuser

i use downloadwithplus but flashgot seems to have many more options, maybe ill give it a try. otoh, downloadwith supports download accelerator plus (free of charge).

17. toploader

thanks again WSFuser :)

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

here's a picture :D

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/1198/dialup3yp.jpg

check this picture out, over 100KB/sec for a download, not bad for dialup, of course all my network skills help set it up joke [​IMG]

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9666/transferrate5il.jpg

dialup ()\X/[\] § broadband, sorry i got abit excited :[

toploader, there are a few things that can record streams, try doing a search for them.

EDIT my download speed picture dissappeared from imageshack :mad: here it is uploaded instead.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  19. toploader

WOW your dial up is impressive Ice :D - how on earth do you get that sort of speed? - is it some kind of hybrid of dial and dsl?

20. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it's a USB ADSL PPP. i don't pay very much either, about £20 a month.

you can increase the speed of dialup if you play around with the packet header sequencies - receive windows, TCPWindowSize, Maximum Transmission Unit, Selective Acknowledgements and the rest, but i think it will leave you open to be more easily hijacked as a hijacker can then keep guessing sequence numbers and if they get it right you will process the packet and acknowledge it.

what it means is you let your computer accept more packets so you don't drop any, and receive larger payloads and also process out of ordered packets, but because of that, you will accept a greater number of infomation, within reason though, so a hijacker has a bigger window to guess the correct sequence numbers to hijack you. i think it's mainly only a problem for servers though.

can someone who understands this all tell me if it's very likely? i have been wanting to ask for awhile. thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.