Strategy Help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by slogdog, Sep 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slogdog

slogdog Registered Member

I have a Dell PowerEdge server with a Perc Raid Controller on it. It has a RAID array as follows:

2 Disks Mirrored = C:\ (Compressed @ running really short of disk space)
    3 Disks Raid 1 = E:\
    2 Disks Mirrored = F:\
    (1 Hotswap Drive)
    1 External Firewire 800 I TB Backup disk = G:\

Besides Acronis I am using Veritas with the SQL Open file option. (Having some issues with Veritas backing up all data on C: because of Compression . . .but that is for another forum)

One the C Drive I have the system partition and applications (Most Importantly MS SQL Server 2003) with some SQL Data stored here.

On the E:\ I have the Database Files (Most Important Data)

On the F:\ I have backup of SQL Data

I image all data from Acronis onto the G:\ Full Backups everyday.

Here is my question. Will acronis restore compressed data exactly the way it was and will it remain compressed?

I read here on the forums to pause the SQL server before Acronis snaps the images, so is there a command line switch to use in the Tools -> Options->Databases, something like net stop sql or net start sql ? that will perform this so I don't corrupt any data??

In your opinion, Is this the best strategy you can think of for this set-up?

Thanks in advanced for all your help.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello slogdog,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

What concerns your question about backing up the PC that has complex applications like SQL database running, please take a look at this FAQ article.

Please also note that Acronis True Image Corporate Workstation 8.0 and Acronis True Image Enterprise Server 8.0 as well the new version of Acronis True Image allow you to use special batch files in order to start and stop the appropriate services automatically.

You can find more information on how to peform these actions in section 5.11 of Acronis True Image Enterprise Server 8.0 User's Guide and section 4.3.4 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide.

As for your question regarding the successful imaging of a compressed hard drive. Could you please clarify what exact kind of compression you use, so I can figure out if it will work without a problem?

What operating system is installed on your PC?

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.