Stranger than fiction ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MICRO, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Given too much information we've managed to let you get ahead of yourself. In the beginning I gave you the getservice.bat page in an attempt to help you determine XCYTQOUKAO's legitimacy. From there Franklin gave you the route from a cmd shell. That she's gone, stop digging. Those Legacy keys should be fine unless you encounter one of two scenarios; your scanners throw a flag or your firewall picks up an unusual outbound.

Forget about PP for the time being too - trouble without an appropriate purpose.

As for tasklist, re-dwnld. When asked where to save it select your system32 folder and retry.

Should she again fail, make sure your path includes the system folders.

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@Micro

No

As you've noticed there legit keys for Legacy_AVG etc.

As far as i know, registry entries such as those, are created by the operating system. The effects of removing them cannot be guaranteed. Having said that, i often check to see what LEGACY keys are left behind after uninstalling etc things. Just like you, i also use RegSeeker, have done for years. GREEN are safe to remove, others with caution, i don't. And don't forget to enable the backup button, just in case !

What i found out was, those unwanted LEGACY entries which appeared at first to be deleted with RS, are not. If i do another run they are still there. That's how i ended up searching for a way to totally delete them. The answer was PsExec etc etc, as i posted earlier, it allows RegEdit to be opened and used with higher Permissions than normal.

Not sure what the L and X are ?

As GF says ;)
    Even so, because of my previous experiences, i thought you might benefit from them, if not now, maybe in the future.

3. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks GF - I am still shaking my head re. my missing your original highlighted
    links and even asking you for a link while looking at it.
    Trying to accomplish six things at once is not a good idea - This whole mess
    was in the way of my own daily work which I was\am trying to do at the same time.

"When asked where to save it select your system32 folder and retry."

Uptodate, I double clicked tasklist.exe while in Sys32, it opens install dialog box,
    I click Run, and get the 'Black' half command prompt box, but it only flashes on screen for one second and then is gone.
    Can you think of any move I might still be missing on XP ?

"Should she again fail, make sure your path includes the system folders."
    The latter link is too heavy weather, will take me a year to understand.

4. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks CR, - Understood all, may need the items and links in the future.

The L was only my abbreviation for 'Legacy' whereas the 'X' was part of the original 'Sevices' Malware duo.
    Yes, as GF mentioned I have done almost everything I can and the machine is not showing anything untoward at present.

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

path_micro.gif

No, no dbl-clk, simply open a shell from your (run: cmd) and: tasklist /svc
    "On the path" means no more than saying an executable is "findable."

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.