Strange Results from PCFlank and GRC

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by dw426, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Okay, to set this question up, I'm using Windows 7 x64 Home. File and Printer sharing is turned off and so is Network Discovery. I'm using Outpost Security Suite Free as my software firewall. Now, when I go to GRC to test my ports, everything is stealthed according to its results. However, when I go to PCFlank, it reports ports 135, 137, 138, 139 as visible.

It has to be one or the other, it can't be both..so can anyone shed some light on what may be going on and how I can remedy it?

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I've seen different results between those two services as well. Is pcflank scanning the same ip address as shieldsup? Because you're using Outpost, I suspect you're completely stealthed, and pcflank is scanning something else, maybe your router if you're using one or your isp.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah it shows my "real" IP on both websites. I do run a router, yes, but that would confuse me more. If the router is being scanned, shouldn't it also be stealth or closed on both websites?

4. fax

fax Registered Member

There is a simpler explanation. Pcflank is known to be not very reliable in terms of scanning results. So watch out, it can be simply a pcflank flaw. Try to check with other scanning services....if any around :)

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I tossed out Outpost, so it makes no difference now :D

6. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

If you're using a router, it's not going to make a great deal of difference which software firewall you use, unless your router is full of holes, or you place the PC in the DMZ.

Images from Windows 7 x64 firewall turned off. No additional security applications installed.

First image = PC in DMZ
    Second Image = PC not in DMZ

Attached Files:

• dmz.jpg
      dmz.jpg
      File size:
      209.1 KB
      Views:
    • nodmz.jpg
      nodmz.jpg
      File size:
      212.6 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.