Strange problem with Virus Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RCGuy, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Hello, Wilders Security Forums! I have a very strange and interesting problem with "Virus Protection" on my computer. But first of all, let me share with you my "objective" which revealed to me this problem that I am having with my "Virus Protection." What I was trying to do was install Sony Connect's SonicStage 4.3 Player. I have had problems in the past installing the SonicStage Player, but I contacted Sony Connect's Customer Support, and they referred me to a Help page which informed me to: Temporarily disable any antivirus software that may be running before starting the installation process.

http://connect.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/connect.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=204

Well, I recently had been using Bit Defender Free Anit-Virus which I really didn't like so I uninstalled it and downloaded Dr. Web's Free software. Dr. Web's software performed a scan on my computer, but after the scan, I really didn't see where the Dr. Web program had been actually installed on my computer.(I looked for it in All Programs associated with my Start button and I even looked for it in my Add or Remove Programs section.) But anyway, I installed a new Anti-Virus program on my computer, which was the Avast program. But getting back to the SonicStage Player, I had tried exiting from my Avast anti-virus program so that I could install the SonicStage 4.3 Player, but I was still having problems installing it. At this point, I opened Windows Security Center and saw that my "Virus Protection" was still showing "ON" with the green light displayed. Well, I decided to uninstall Avast(I wanted to uninstall it anyway), but my Windows Security Center was still showing that my "Virus Protection" was "ON," plus, I was still having problems installing the SonicStage Player). Well, I was somewhat perplexed by this and did a search to see if Microsoft or Windows XP SP2 provided a free Anti-Virus program that I didn't know about.(Which they don't.)

Okay, now here's where the interesting part comes in. I was looking for a particular program through Start and All Programs, and as (luck?) would have it, I inadvertently clicked on my Belarc Advisor program. Well, the Belarc program analyzed and updated my profile for my computer, and after it displayed it's result page, I saw near the top of that page that it said that my "Virus Protection" was "Up-to-date." :eek: Now fortunately, there's a link that shows "details" about of this, and I will copy and paste the "details" from the Belarc document:

Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Version 0.0.0.0 Realtime File Scanning On

Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Version 0.0.0.0
    Realtime File Scanning On

Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Version 0.0.0.0
    Realtime File Scanning On

:eek: :eek: :eek: Okay, I don't get it. I used Avira AntiVir a while back ago, but eventually I uninstalled it. But now a Belarc analysis is showing that Avira AntiVir is currently running on my computer. :eek: Also, I don't know how accurate and reliable the Belarc Advisor is, but apparently, something is obviously awry. Now if anyone can help me to solve this mystery, your help would surely be appreciated. Also, sorry about the long post.

P.S. BTW, is there any such thing as a trojan anti-virus program? :eek:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Do you have the latest version of Belarc Advisor? What antivirus shows to be running in the Security Center?

3. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Hi, Ronjor. To answer your first question...I was just trying to check and I'm not sure. However, according to the "Properties" of the desktop icon, the icon was created on September 16, 2006. And to answer your second question...my Security Center doesn't show any particular anti-virus program running, but only that "Virus Protection" is "ON." Also, technically speaking, currently, I'm not suppose to have any anti-virus program installed or running on my computer.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

5. Doc Serenity

Doc Serenity Registered Member

It sounds to me like you have not been able to completely remove any of the AV's from your system and may have more than 1 running.
    Using Avira as an example, if I wanted to remove it I would go through the normal uninstall steps, then do a file search for Avira and delete all of that and empty the Recycle Bin, run CCleaner to get rid of traces, reboot and install something else.
    Some of the others may be able to help more with this-I'm still new and learning.
    Good luck.
    Doc

6. Niels

Niels Registered Member

The reason why you didn't find anything installed when you downloaded drweb free is because it's only a big removal tool executable called drweb cureit!. You have to redownload to be sure that you have the latest signatures. Take a look here : http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en You should only find a file called drwebcurei!t on your computer.
    You can also use this tool for removing registry entries of avira: http://dl.antivir.de/down/windows/registrycleaner.zip
    If you install ccleaner don't forget to uncheck yahoo toolbar during installation.
    You can also download microsoft installer cleanup: http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe
    Install it and take a look to any remaints of avira. If available select them and press on remove.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Whats the point? Remnants of antivir that need to be removed? Or running windows & knowingly not having a resident AV?

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Drweb's free version does not install at all, it runs from the downloaded program file.

it does sound like you need to reset your security centre for sure.

9. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

I never did follow up on this thread. I tried Niels suggestion of downloading the microsoft installer cleanup, but that program didn't appear to have the solution to the Antivir entries in my Belarc document. However, I also tried WSFuser's suggestion and registered over at the AntiVir PersonalEdition Support Forum and I sent Mav1976 a Private Message requesting the VBS script that they are using to clear up this problem. I will let you all know what happens after I get a response from Mav1976. Also, thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.