Strange pagefile sizes - change possible?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by act8192, Jun 12, 2017.

1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Thinkpad laptop started with 4gig RAM and just Windows 7. Added Windows 10. Then I added 8gig.
    Windows 7 pagefile is 12gig. Windows 10 page file is under 2gig.
    Why this enormous difference?
    Can I do something about Windows 7 huge pagefile? It annoys me because if I forget to exclude it from image, images get silly big.
    What should I look at to see if that 12gig is really needed?
    Any suggestions for changes? Whatever I do has to be safe because I do not have a play-sandbox machine.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Here is a link to quick instructions how to set up pagefile size: http://www.mcci.com/mcci-v5/support/howtos4.html. If I were in your situation I would limit it to 1 or 2 GB.
    Regarding your image - what software are you using to create them? Macrium doesn't store whole pagefile in image, but I don't know how it is with others.

3. act8192

Thanks. I am looking at those.
    Acronis here. Using bootable rescue because their recent GUI is so dreadful that I find it unuseable. If I had it installed, pagefile copy would be automatically suppressed.

4. act8192

Thank you, Minimalist, for this good and clear link. I set it min=2g, max=4g just in case.
    So far Windows 7 hasn't complained.
    There's a link in the article which says to be mindful of the kernel dump size, but it doesn't suggest any way to estimate that nor the size of a whole memory dump. That's why I've set things higher than your suggestion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.