strange message

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by corinthian, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corinthian

corinthian Registered Member

After making an image of the entire C: partition, I also "backed up" some data files to a DVD. So far, I have had a total failure trying to do and "incremental" backup to that back up. Guess I'll figure that out later. But in the meantime I decided to do some trial restores of that data backup file. I chose to back up to a new location, so as to leave the original files alone. I got the above message. I also got a similar message for some other files which said that the file name was too long. I just kept repeatedly clicking the "ignore" button. As far as I am able to tell, all of the files were restored correctly. Including the one that supposedly had too long of a filename. Though definitely it got tedious hitting the "ignore" button, and I was only restoring a small part of "My Documents". So anyway, it did restore, but does anybody have any advice on what is causing this problem? Does it have anything to do with not restoring to the original location (can not find the path specified)?
    Bill

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2006
  2. singularity2006

singularity2006 Registered Member

Yes, the file name is definitely too long. With Windows, your filename limit counts the path as well. So when u go c:\windows\my documents\filename.ext, you do not count the characters of filename.ext but rather the entire string of c:\windows\etc... The limit for Windows is 254. You need to move those files to your root directory to shorten the path length. I cannot tell from looking, but it looks like even if u had the root directory, it would still be really long. So u will need to rename the folders one at a time to shorten them. In addition, if u start to rename, u must start at the root directory of c:\ and not the file itself. When u try to do the file itself, you may run into the same error message in Windows, although that is something I cannot recall exactly. In anycase, try both to see what works best. as soon as you can reduce your filename length + path to less than 254 characters, your backups will work just fine.

3. corinthian

Thanks much, Singularity2006. I had two separate mesages, one that the name was too long, and the message I copied here, which says "can not find path specified". Both caused by tooooo long a name, I guess? Boy, that might be some work, shortening all of those names. The strange thing is, the files seemed to be restored in working order after I clicked "ignore". I wonder if it shortened the name by itself? I'll check.

I also wonder if this will cause a problem with a restore from the partition images I made?

Thanks,
    Bill

4. singularity2006

singularity2006 Registered Member

Yeah, when you click ignore, it does a funny bypass but i definitely would not trust the data even though it looks like the restore worked.

The interseting thign about Windows is that when u create those long paths in teh first place, Windows will be able to store them without any problem. You will even be able to open the file and even view them. However, when you start trying to do file manipulation such as cut and paste or delete, the system will go all haywire on you.

I ran into this accident by mistake when I was doing a backup of a drive volume onto itself... so what ended up happening is that the drive would copy itself, then the previous backups it made, and then keep cycling the file structure.... it was a real big mess that took me well over 2 hours to delete (had to rename and shorten the directory tree). I ended up renaming all the folders to the number 1 to make it quick and easy.

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

XP stores all file names in two formats - one the newer style that most of us use as well as a 'copy' in the old 8.3 format, which is why some file/folder (directory) names if viewed using the command prompt, will look like myfilen~.txt.

This is the XP shortened version and would explain why the above could be restored, though I would have expected them have been parsed into the 8.3 naming convention as mentioned above.

I wouldn't rely on this to always work successfully.

Colin

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Corinthian,
    Perhaps you might find an interest in these two freeware programs.
    One is a [highlight]PrintScreen[/highlight] which is a screen capture program. Using a program like this would enable you just to capture selected parts of your desktop rather than the entire desktop. This would make your uploads smaller and enable faster screen updating. You can control the size of the rectangle. Check out the first entry in my signature below to see some example of how I have used this program.

www.gadwin.com
    http://www.gadwin.com/download/PrintScreen31_Setup.exe
    • Under the options:
      "source" tab; checkmark the "rectangular area" option.
      "image" tab; select "jpg" as image type, and 50% or 75" as JPEG quality setting.
      "destination" tab;
      • 1. Enter your folder name where you want the screenshots stored.
        2. Checkmark the "copy captured area to clipboard".
        3. Checkmark the "copy captured area to file.
        4. Checkmark the "ask for file name after capturing" (file name can be automatic or customized).
    Another freeware program is [highlight]Long FileNames Finder[/highlight] by DCSoft. This can provide assistance in finding files with long names.
    http://www.dcsoft.com/ftp/longff.zip
    www.dcsoft.com

Another item to consider might be a renaming program such as [highlight]The Rename[/highlight].
    http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-08-25.htm#4

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  7. corinthian

Thanks Grover, Singularity and Colin. I will look into those two programs for sure. And Colin, now that you mention the old "8.3" format, that rings a bell from, I believe it was, when I had been doing some backing up with Nero "Back it up". I got a message about long file name, and I think there was an offer to change the file names to the old format.

Anyway, I was wrong again!!! Upon further, closer investigation, I found that a few files were missing! I guess the few with the longest file names. But thinking about that"root-directory" advice from Singularity, I tried this: I created another folder for test purposes: "C:\RestrAc". This bypassed the Desktop and got rid of the start of the file name: "Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Restore Test" and maybe some more. It restored without any error messages at all, and the properties of the restored folders/files appear to be identical to the original right down to the Byte. Excellent! Very fast restore also, where it had been kind of slow before!

I'm thinking if maybe I had restored to the original location, ( which I didn't do, because I didn't want to risk the original files during a test ), maybe it would have worked out right? But by creating a new folder on the desktop, I added quite a few words to the already long file length.

Now I just have to figure out why I couldn't do a "diff backup" to this DVD full backup, but that's for another day. Thanks again, friends!

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello corinthian,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that, as singularity2006 has already mentioned above, the problem you encountered is most likely caused by too long file names not supported by Windows itself.

Firstly, we recommend that you make sure that you use the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3633.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

After installing the update, please try to restore the files to the folder having a path shorter than 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Restore test\', for example 'C:\TMP' and see the result.

If the problem persists then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Make a screen shots of both error messages;

- Reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon;

- Try restoring the files under the same conditions (the same files to the same folder using the same restoration options) when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and inform us about the result;

- Copy the backup archive from DVD to the separate folder on your hard drive and try restoring the files once more. Let us know the result.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.