strange message I dont understand

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rita, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hello
    Today I got a weird message from aol i dont understand at all.I talked to tech support and they said it was some type of adware causing it.I dont know much but I dont believe that.The computer is spyware&adware clean.I would just like to know what in the world this message even means.They couldnt or didnt even try to tell me the meaning of it.will try and send a screenshot if it will upload
    It wont upload but it said:Your on something,not Struass,not EU,not dialup--have not a clue what it means

2. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Hello rita, can u explain in some more detail about the problem as it is not very clear as to the exact problem.
    Did u recieve this message in an email.?

Your friend

The mul ;)

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Stephen
    no it just popped onscreen when I clicked on news I wanted to read,never could read it,same thing kept coming up.It's a mystery to me.you have any idea of what it means?thanks for replying

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Ritaann,

"Your on something,not Struass,not EU,not dialup"

Is that exactly how it was worded....and did it come via a message box with the word Messenger in the top left corner ?

Also....what part of the upload want work ?

5. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

6. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Restarted the computer,will try and upload the screenshot again

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hmmm....at what point do you see this message....during boot-up, as you surf, when you click on a link ?

There is\was an AOL 9.0 version code named Strauss....but I have no clue if that's what your pic references o_O

8. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Bubba
    I tried to read the news--never could because of that pop up.I have run all the spyware scanners and also a virus scan--nothing detected at all.aol says its probaly spyware on computer but i dont think I have any, or at least one of the scanners would have found it.I run them all.I honestly dont believe the tech I talked to knew any more than I do.They sent me an email all about spyware and how to detect it--things I already know,no help at all!thanks for replying bubba.I do appreciate it!

9. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Here is a little info on strauss.
    AOL also began testing a service code-named Strauss, which is a slimmed-down version of the 9.0 software for PCs with limited memory.

Your friend

Stephen

10. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Stephen
    Thanks for the info on Strauss.I wonder what that would have to do with me getting the popup when clicking on a news link though.Who knows what it could have meant :D Maybe it wont happen anymore.It mystifies me though.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

12. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Ron
    Thanks for the link.I didnt download the new security progam--so now I know it's called Strauss.I didnt figure I needed it,with all the security apps.I already have.I dont really see any need to do it,was afraid it would mess with the other progs.What is your opinion about it?Today I can read the news etc.and am not getting that popup like yesterday.

13. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

You may want to write a letter of complaint to the tech support you contacted if they did not work to your expectations.

Jimbob

14. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Jimbob
    I received a form to fill out about the session with the tech,asking if they helped or not etc.but I havent filled it out yet,am going to and tell them I was dissatisified with the result.

15. Jimbob1989

Be forcefull my friend ;)

Jimbob

16. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

I will--also I'm getting tired of getting booted offline every time I am trying to get something done :mad: I've had to sign back on 4 times this morning.It's so aggravating sometimes.Other times everything goes well.

17. Jimbob1989

Ever though about trying a different ISP? I'm not sure what the prices or services are like in your area.

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.