Strange fd-isr behaviour?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by farmerlee, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Only been using this app for a few days. I've installed it, made a snapshot of my base system and then frozen the snapshot. I've then gone ahead and modified my system a bit but when i do a normal windows restart fd-isr loads my frozen snapshot again and i lose my modifications. Is this normal behaviour? How can i stop it doing this? Thanks for any help!

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

First of all, I hope you have at least a second snapshot, otherwise FDISR is useless. Using only ONE snapshot is the same as working without FDISR. You need MINIMUM two snapshots.
    You always need a snapshot as a haven of refuge, if something goes wrong in one of your other snapshots.
    After installation your second snapshot (created by YOU) acts like a ROLLBACK snapshot.
    You better start this way and you can improvise later, like most experienced FDISR-users do.
    A frozen snapshot is already such an improvisation and not recommended in the very beginning.
    A WORK snapshot and a ROLLBACK snapshot is the best way to LEARN FDISR gradually, the rest comes later.

This is a normal behaviour, because you are using a FROZEN snapshot.
    Read this link post #77
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=172032&page=4
    If you still don't understand it, we will explain it again and again until you got it. :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi farmerlee

I would leave the freeze function as the last thing. Get used to the general program workings first. I will probably be an easier learning curve this way.

Pete

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Ah i see, i was thinking the frozen snapshot was just like a backup image i could revert to if my system screwed up. Now i'm starting to see how fd-isr really works. Thanks for the help guys, i'm still totally amazed how awesome this software is!

5. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Do you know, it strikes me that if more people only knew what an amazing program this is, Peter and Erik would have to go full time working for Raxco...lol
    Really bless the day I found FDR anyway.

6. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Hi farmerlee welcome to the club, like you I’m new with first defense and I’m learning, this is the best software that you would ever have on your comp, and don’t worry if you have problem or need any kind of help because Peter and Erik got you back this guys are great, have fun and enjoy it

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Guys

It's fun watching other experience what we have. There are other users out here also that are a big help. Anyway enjoy and ask away.

Pete

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes we are not the only users, who know FDISR, we just post more. :D

9. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

Me too, I love it... I do best with my primary and secondary snapshots and 2 archives of my primary in different states.....

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

What makes it so very useful (provided you have the space LoL), is you can build up your snapshots continually and then send them to ARCHIVES, as many as you can reserve space for in all sorts of storages. Need i say more?

I favor the archive bit especially since you can Update/Copy to them and it writes the changes in record time, seconds! minutes at the most! and you're all set. Should something fudge a snapshot(s), turn to the archive and Update/Copy to snapshot and you're right back in business in the blink of an eye.

Truly an amazing and long overdue innovation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.