Strange Comodo BOClean problems

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Karen76, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

Since I'm troubleshooting some problems with FirstDefense-ISR on my new Vista PC, I'm operating with two primary FD-ISR snapshots: one with NOD32/Windows firewall, the other with KIS v7. For the last two days, when I reboot into the NOD32 snapshot, a Vista system tray icon gives me a message saying a program was blocked from startup. The program is Comodo BOClean v4.25 which I have to give permission to activate. Until recently, BOClean started up with no issues.

The only change to my PC in the last two days has been the automatic installation of some Windows Vista "reliability" updates (Microsoft's notions of "reliability" and "compatibility" doin't coincide with my own). I read on a Microsoft discussion forum that some folks had experienced problems with a recent update blocking various programs. I can't figure out any method to stop Vista from blocking BOClean. I've uninstalled and reinstalled BOClean (clicking "Run as Administrator") several times to no avail. What I can't fathom is that Vista in my KIS snapshot isn't blocking BOClean from starting even though it contains the same Windows updates.

Also, every time I install BOClean v4.25 then reboot, there's no BOClean system tray icon and I get a message saying the BOC425.XVU file containing the database can't be found and I need to run the updater (which doesn't fix the problem). When I track this file down, it's always in one of three locations: the BOClean program file folder, my C drive folder, or a user application folder. There's no consistency as to where BOClean initially places this file. I can't go into the configuration menu to establish a location for the database because until this file is placed where BOClean wants it (and that location varies from installation to installation), there's no icon or way to access the BOClean menu.

What I wind up doing is copying the BOC425.XVU file to two locations: the C drive folder and the BOClean program file folder. Then when I reboot the BOClean system tray icon appears, the program functions, and I'm able to access the configuration menu. Then I'm able to set a specific location for the BOC425.XVU file and delete the extra file(s). Why this is happening is a total mystery to me. I hope some of the resident computer wizards have some cogent advice (other than buying a Windows XP installation CD).

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Have you posted at the Comodo-forum alsoo_O

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You're only getting blocked in the NOD32 snapshot as I see it, so what if you opened NOD32 and typed in to ignore BOClean? That might prove that NOD is or isn't responsible, and might fix the problem too. A thought just occured to me to look at the Windows Firewall. Is it set too high?

4. Karen76

After reviewing the Comodo forum, I was not favorably impressed.

I posted this problem on Microsoft's discussion board which led to an immature name-calling frenzy between some Vista lovers and Vista haters.

5. Karen76

It's Vista/Windows Defender which blocks BOClean from starting up, not NOD32 or the Windows firewall. To confirm this, I disconnected from the Internet, turned off the firewall, blocked NOD32 from startup then rebooted. Vista still blocked BOClean from starting. I can always go through the process of granting permission for BOClean to start, but I'd like to find a way to avoid this hassle every time I reboot. I can't find any method to "unblock" a program Vista/Defender arbitrarily decides should be blocked.

I'd already used AutoRuns to block Windows Defender from starting up since I also have Spy Sweeper for MSN and didn't want two anti-spyware programs running at the same time. Despite being shown as unchecked as a startup program, Defender is still starting up and running whether I want it to or not. It appears Defender is an integral part of Vista.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Ah Windows Defender. I had that on my computer for a year when it was in beta, and it found ONE piece of malware. I uninstalled it and got a good anti-spyware app. Spysweeper eats Defender for breakfast.

7. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Karen76

You can disble Defender, by using itself suicidally. :eek:

Open Defender>Tools>Left click Window Defender to highlight it>Disable. [bottom right].

Then you can make the real kill by stopping it's auto start service, by setting it service to either Manual or Disabled [best IMO ]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

8. Karen76

I "solved" my problem with Vista/Defender blocking Comodo BOClean from starting up by deleting all my FD-ISR snapshots except the KIS v7 snapshot in which BOClean wasn't being blocked. Then I created new snapshots by copying that one. Now, BOClean starts up normally in all snapshots. If I uninstall/reinstall BOClean, I still have to go through the bizarre procedure I described previously but, since the program is now working fine, I hopefully won't need to uninstall it until a new version comes out.

Why Vista/Defender was blocking BOClean in the other (NOD32) snapshots when all snapshots contained the same Windows updates is yet another item on my ever-growing list of PC mysteries. It's listed right after "Why do FD-ISR snapshots take three times as long to create with KIS v7 installed?" and before "Why is my Systweak KIS keyfile/activation code accepted in my Vista PC but not in my XP PC?" o_O

9. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

If ever you have a problem like you described during this thread just open Windows Defender >click on Options>scroll down to the line that reads "Choose if Windows Defender should notify you about" and put a check mark in the first option "Software that has not been classified for risks" (if it isn't already).

It wouldn't hurt to join MicroSoft's Spynet where your decision whether to permit or deny an application to start automatically at Windows boot up is shared with others (sort of reminds me of Drive Sentry's user community).

10. Karen76

When I open Windows Defender > Tools > Options there is no "Choose if Windows Defender should notify you about" option. I wish there was an option to turn off Windows Defender but that's not there either. I'm trying to figure out how a program I specifically blocked from startup is continuing to start up. Evidently, Bill Gates & Company don't want lowly peons disabling any part of Vista.

Join Spynet? Me?!?! :eek: Did Microsoft get that name from the Department of Homeland (Achtung! Your papers please.) Security? I'm able to restrain my enthusiasm over sending any scrap of information on my PC to Microsoft if I can humanly avoid it. I'm just funny like that.

Speaking of Spynet, I just checked that section within Windows Defender and it said I was "enrolled" with a "Basic membership." I never "enrolled" in any such thing! This is the third time I've had to uncheck that box and unjoin a "membership" I never "joined" in the first place. I am developing a serious dislike for Microsoft in general and Vista in particular. :mad:

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Rather than disable it, why don't you uninstall it. You can always install it again at a later date.;)

12. Karen76

Perhaps I missed your explanation of how I may uninstall Windows Defender which appears to be an integral part of the Vista OS. When I go Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program, Windows Defender isn't listed among the software which may be uninstalled. I have MyUninstaller on my PC and it doesn't list Windows Defender as a program capable of being uninstalled either.

If it didn't mean giving more money to Microsoft, I'd buy an XP installation CD and be done with Vista (which I never wanted in the first place; thank you, Hewlett-Packard). After a month and a half, I'm still trying to find a way to uninstall some of the worthless "crapware" HP forces on you when you buy their PCs. I expect to encounter a unicorn or an honest, competent attorney first. :rolleyes:

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You've got me there. If it isn't in control panel I don't know. As you say, it looks like they wove it right into the OS. Maybe one of our techie members knows how to fish it out of Windows.
    I was looking at HP computers in a store today and I see what you mean about extra crapola. There was a Gateway next to the HP that only had 6 icons on the desktop. It's too bad we can't demand a clean copy of the OS and nothing else.

14. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

LMAO!!! You had me tickled for a minute.

I don't use Vista, but in XP there was an Icon in the control panel for Defender and if that doesn't help, try looking in Widows Security Center. An option to turn it off might be hiding in there. There also may be a way to exclude BOClean within Defenders' options.

I hope this helps, innerpeace

edit: If your serious about killing Defender, here's a link that may help.
    http://www.tweakvista.eu/show_tweak.php?tweak=128

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  15. Trespasser

Gee, I see you appreciate it when someone tries to help you. You're welcome.

The listing for "Choose if Windows Defender should notify you about" and the option "Software that has not been classified for risks" is in my version of Windows Defender. No idea why it's not in yours.

As far as the SpyNet goes...I have no problem being part of it. Again, I was just trying to help.

Try decaf. It might help your disposition.

Later.

16. Karen76

I humbly apologize for not thanking you for your suggestion to try a procedure which appears nowhere in Windows Defender > Tools > Options on my Vista PC.

As far as your suggestion to join Spynet (that name makes me shudder), it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread ... which was Vista/Defender blocking BOClean from starting. You neglected to explain why I should: (a) Willingly consent to sending information from my PC to Microsoft, (b) Trust a program which has three times (so far) "enrolled" me in a "membership" without my knowledge or consent even though I repeatedly checked the box not to join Spynet.

Lamentably, millions of people have "no problems" with abridgements of their privacy by corporations or governments and overt violations of their unalienable individual rights. I derive considerable comfort not being among their ranks. Drinking decaf will not, thankfully, change that. My "disposition" would be much improved had HP offered XP instead of Vista on their new PCs.

17. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

there sure is the option "Choose if Windows Defender should notify you about" that @Trespasser mentions and if you scroll down to the bottom of the options window the very last bit you come to "Administrator options" there you'll see "Use Windows Defender" take the tick out of the box and bingo no more Windows Defender or problems with Boclean.
    If your not seeing those things maybe your not logged on as Admin.

18. Karen76

strangequark,

On my Vista PC (an HP Media Center Pavilion m8120n), when I go Windows Defender > Tools > Options there is no "Choose if Windows Defender should notify you about" option. I'm looking at the "Options" window right now. Nowhere is there an "Administrator options" or box which says "Use Windows Defender." Nor does Windows Defender appear on the list of programs which may be uninstalled.

In any event, my problem with BOClean being blocked from starting has been "solved," albeit by an unconventional method and I'm finished with this thread. I'm not sufficiently masochistic to appreciate people insisting features exist on my PC when I can physically ascertain they do not. The options you and Trespasser mentioned do not appear anywhere in Windows Defender > Tools > Options on my Vista PC. That's objective reality whether you and Trespasser choose to accept it or not.

Edited to add: Yes, I am an Administrator on this PC.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  19. Trespasser

Gosh! I'm convinced!

....long pause....

Like I said...I was just trying to help.

Later. :) .

20. Skytrooper

Skytrooper Registered Member

Well, "gosh!", I guess I won't be able to "convince" you either.

One of my two PCs is running Vista Home Premium. When I open Windows Defender - Tools - Options, there is NO:

1. "Choose if Windows Defender should notify you about" option.

2. "Administator options" anywhere on the Options window.

3. "Use Windows Defender" box to check or uncheck.

Like Karen76, I cringe whenever I see the word "Spynet." Twice, I've opened Windows Defender then discovered I was "enrolled" in a basic Spynet membership even though I'd checked the box to not join Spynet. Did I miss your explanation why anyone would approve of a program which "enrolls" you without your permission, even against your permission? No, I didn't think so.

21. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Just wanted to drop by and say: then why Vista..?
    Just teasing :D

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Why don't you PM Karen and ask her how she fixed it as she stated in her post. If you fix yours perhaps you could come back and tell the other Vista users here.;)

23. Skytrooper

Skytrooper Registered Member

1. I don't have BOClean installed in my Vista PC. I never stated I did so I obviously never said it was being blocked from start-up. Why are you attributing remarks to me which I never made? Why would I PM anyone for advice on how to fix a problem I never had or reported? o_O

2. Karen76 explained how she resolved her problem in post #8 in this thread.

3. I simply posted to report that:

A. Gosh!, like Karen76, I don't see the options/boxes/etc. Trespasser/strangequark mentioned when I open Windows Defender - Tools - Options. I'm sorry if I can't "convince" folks who elect to cling to their preconceived notions.

B. Spynet also "enrolled" me without my permission, twice, despite my checking the Windows Defender box to not join Spynet.

BTW, unlike in XP where Windows Defender is an optional program users may install, Defender appears to be part of the Vista operating system. If there's a way to uninstall Windows Defender in Vista (as you suggested), I can't find it.

24. Trespasser

The "Choose if Windows Defender should notify you about" option is in my version of Windows Defender. Don't know why it's not in yours or Karens version but from your attitude (and hers) I really could care less. My objective was to help. If you can't see that then you must be blind (or need to go on decaf as well...:)). I personally find nothing wrong with the concept of MicroSoft's SpyNet (like I said it reminds me of DriveSentry's community that gives opinions whether an application is safe or not to install). As to Defender enrolling you over and over in the SpyNet...well, I've never had that problem. Sorry. :D.

Have a good day.

P.S.
    Why are Karen and Skytrooper so gosh darn defensive?!

25. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

To all,

Time to ratchet down the emotion.

I realize that it's frustrating not being able to see something a fellow member directs you to, it's frustrating on the other side as well when you can't find it. The best way through these situations is to take the time to explicitly show people what you are looking at. Take a screenshot image. It doesn't have to be fancy and there are plenty of free options anyone can use.

For example, I don't use Windows Defender, but did install it just to provide an example of what a vanilla installation should look like (this is XP Pro as the OS). The Options section is contained in the 3 screenshots below. This is what I'd assume should generally appear. Of course, that appears to not be the case according to some of the posts and I have no idea what's afoot. Like I said, it's not an application I've every used....

Blue

Attached Files:

• WD1.png
      WD1.png
      File size:
      55.1 KB
      Views:
    • WD2.png
      WD2.png
      File size:
      57.4 KB
      Views:
    • WD3.png
      WD3.png
      File size:
      51.2 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.