Strange Adobe activation requests

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MickDundee, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickDundee

MickDundee Registered Member

Hi guys. New to the forum, and I'm hoping to learn more about my online security here.

These are my specs:

Firewall: Outpost Pro 2009
    Antivirus: Vipre

Setup: Combined modem/router, wired.

Connection: ADSL2+

Here's my situation.

My firewall has been alerting me to requesting from non-adobe programs such as ITunes to allow contact with activate.adobe.com.

Now I have Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, and Flash Professional on my machine, but can't figure out why non-Adobe programs would be requesting this. I have PeerBlock preventing my installed programs from calling home and giving away any info I might not want disclosed, but it seems persistant.

Every time a new program is installed that needs internet access, it also requests to contact activate.adobe.com. I block it of course, but if someone could give me a clue as to what it might be, I would be very grateful as I am stumped.

Cheers

Mick

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi CrocMan :D welcome to Wilders.

I can't explain it, but i'm hoping to hear an explanation too :thumb:

3. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

It seems Adobe apps are accessing the internet through other apps for the purpose of registration checking (to confirm that the maximum number of activations have not been reached). So random apps go to activate.adobe.com.

4. MickDundee

MickDundee Registered Member

Ah. Cheers.

I was a bit worried as this as never happened with Adobe products before.

Thanks for clearing that up.

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Once you have activated your software, it should not be phoning home :ouch:

You perhaps should go through the rather tedious task of turning off all automatic update features in each of your installed Adobe Applications.

You may also look in MSCONFIG as newly installed software often adds a non-essential product activation start-up entry.

I am not familiar with your third-party Firewall software, if it is possible, block activate.adobe.com add rule, I would think.

Regards,

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.