Straight forward anti-virus etc protection advice wanted please

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chris18, Jun 6, 2017.

1. chris18

chris18 Registered Member

I have recently upgraded my Toshiba Equium P300-16T from Vista to Windows 10 Home (via Windows 7).

For sometime now I have been using 360 Total Security (FREE) on both my laptop and desktop (which is used primarily for x-plane and as a reserve). I have images of my main Windows install on both machines via Macrium Reflect (FREE) which I have found is an excellent piece of software,

My move to Windows 10 was prompted by the recent Wannacry attack where I realised my Vista system was weak even though I don't have any commercially sensitive data, just personal including online banking.

I have been looking at various articles etc. about security and wonder if 360 Total Security (FREE) is the best option for me. I have seen recommendations for Bitdefender and TotalAV as offering good protection against malware and ransomware. I have also seen VoodooShield and 360 Document Protector suggested as added stand alone protection.

I appreciate that in all cases any FREE version comes with the caveat that some facilities will be missing but would welcome any advice on whether 360 Total Security (FREE) is still my best option for all round protection and if not what to switch to.

Thanks

2. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Hi!

360 Total Security is good enough if you have safe browsing habits. You might want to try the built-in antimalware solution in Windows 10. It is an excellent free alternative which has become really powerfull over the last few years.

3. gery

gery Registered Member

I world go with BD undoubtedly if that was an option

4. anon

anon Registered Member

5. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Use the included Windows Defender, a good ad blocker, and don't do anything silly.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I like 360 Total Security Essential better, it is less bloated than 360 Total Security. Do not enable Avira though, it slows down too much and it is not necessary with BD enabled.

7. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

360 is very good but not excellent. It is not in any tests any more so i can not give you a result from that but earlier when it was it always did good but seldom as good as the very best. The very best was a little better. So i would go with any of the very best in this test - https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/.

Avira was one of the products that stopped Wannacry but Avira can also have severe impact on boot time.
    Panda is very light on the computer but it has no local database of virus definitions and that is good to have if you are without connection. AVG and Bitdefender has also free alternatives.

Good move to shift to W10 because it is much much securer than Vista especially after the so called creators update.

8. anon

anon Registered Member

9. chris18

Thanks for the replies. Am I right to assume from the comments about testing that 360 Total Security (FREE) is no longer current? Is 360Total Security the replacement?

Since posting I have added VoodooShield and 360 Document Protector to my system.

I forgot to say that with 360 Total Security (FREE) the option to enable Bitdefender is not available (it shows as disabled).

I see that no mention has been made of TotalAV which has got very good reviews on a number of sites.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  10. gery

gery Registered Member

anon i know BD is heavier than 360 and i don't know what but i would still go with BD .

11. anon

anon Registered Member

I'm not comparing the 2 AVs. My point was that TS use the BD engine.

12. gery

gery Registered Member

i am not comparing either just stating facts according to my point of view .

13. anon

anon Registered Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9DLmmeREuU
    -------------------
    https://www.360totalsecurity.com/

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've never heard of this company, and it has never been tested by independent organizations as far as I know...

15. anon

anon Registered Member

16. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

True if you are using Windows 10 creators update aka 1703 version. In addition, it'll be very helpful to use a standard user account for everyday Internet browsing.

17. chris18

Hi, have followed the link and Bitdefender Realtime scan now enabled.

18. Tinstaafl

Tinstaafl Registered Member

My preferences are, in descending order: Avira, Bitdefender Free, Avast Free (I'm running all three on 3 different OS installs: Win 10, Win 7, Win XP, respectively).

I would consider using Windows Defender on Win 10 as long as I had my browsers locked down (3rd party filters in uBlock Origin for example) and was running some form of anti-exploit protection. And that last suggestion is probably good advice for any of my first 3 choices ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.