Storing Computers

Discussion in 'hardware' started by chattycathy, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

I need some advice. I would love to purchase a new desktop computer for myself and let my husband have this one but he is content with his right now. My question is, would it be safe to store my computer in a closet, etc. until he is ready for a new one? Right now, he is using one of my "hand me downs" and it has the miles on it. Is it ok to do this and if I do, will it effect the hardware, etc. so that it won't work if and when he's ready for it? Like I said, he is happy with the one he's using now but I expect it to die anytime. Any advice? Thanks for your time.

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I think as long as there is no moisture in the closet it should be fine. I wouldn't put a plastic bag over it as that could generate moisture. If you can leave it somewhere in the open so it can breath it might be better. My extra computer has sit on a desk in a spare room for 6 years and I let the Grandkids play games on it when they come over. It's still good as new.

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I agree. I would just avoid sitting it on a concrete floor of a dank basement where high humidity might cause mold to form. If storing for a very long time, I might pull the motherboard battery. Although very rare with these wafer types, corrosion can be a problem. Basically, the computer needs to be stored totally sealed in an airtight container (which is impractical) or in a place where some fresh air can occasionally circulate around it.

However, I am forced to wonder and ask, if it is to sit in the closet until he gets a new computer, what's going to happen to this old one when he gets the new computer? Sit there even longer?

So I might suggest you copy off any data files you don't want to lose, then use a "wipe" program like Eraser to thoroughly purge the disk(s) of any personal data, and donate the computer to a church or school, Salvation Army or Disabled Vets (with the original Windows disks and license keys) and claim a couple $100 on your taxes while you can.

If it sits in your closet for too long, it will become so obsolete, even churches and schools can't use it, and it ends up in a landfill.

Alternatively, you might consider repurposing it. twl's suggestion to put it in a guest room is excellent. Or, you can do what I did. I stuck my old machine in a spare room and have it attached to my network where I use it to store backups from my main computers. In other words, I use it as a network storage device or NAS (network access storage).

4. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

I'm sorry, I didn't explain myself better and mislead you. When I said "new computer", I meant "new computer" for him. When his current computer dies, he will get the one I'm using now which is the one I want to store. He always gets my old systems. Thanks to both of you for your opinions!

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

So you are getting a "new" new computer soon and he will get your current one, which you want to store until he is ready to give up his current one. I gotcha.

Except for donating to charity, I think the suggestions given still apply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.