StopSign internet Security Suite?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have come across a computer that has StopSign Internet Security Suite on it. When i first saw it i thought it was a rogue. I had never heard of it until now. I found some older threads about it, but nothing recent. Emsisoft Emergency Kit flags some of its files as Generic.Qhost!IK, and other files as Trojan.Win32.Agent!IK (High Risk). Hitman pro flags most of its files as suspicious. It seems to be a legitimate program, but personally i would not have it on my computer. Does anyone here think StopSign can be trusted?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. m0unds

m0unds Guest

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Stopsign uses Digital Patrol's engine. Previously it used Dr Web's. It is also known as eAcceleration.
    -http://www.stop-sign.com/-

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2010
  5. Cutting_Edgetech

I'm going to talk to the lady, and see if i can convince here to allow me to install something like Avast, or AVG on her computer. I bet it will be a pain to uninstall.

6. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

It is one of those OMG my computer is so much faster TV advertisements. It kind of goes to show if you make something look cool people will buy it even if it is total garbage.

7. m0unds

m0unds Guest

nuke it from orbit ;)

8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Not a pain. I installed it during my testing. It uninstalls quite good. Detection is not so bad too. Because Digital Patrol is not bad. I am not going into A vs B, but Avast/Avira will be better in all respect mainly because those are free.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  9. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

StopSign used to be a rogue pest, it gave fake detected results to encourage people to buy it.
    It used to be a false positive king also, now I hear that it has improved and not so hard to remove.
    Previous version required you to download a separate uninstaller from their website and fill out a survey to remove it.

I still would not trust it based on its prior actions. There are much better free options.

Thanks.:)

10. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Use Revo uninstaller to remove that.

11. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks Cheater87! It would be a good ideal to use Revo Uninstaller.

12. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Yes I also used Revo for its removal. And if I remember properly there was not much left over.

13. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

awesome..revo is very good:thumb:

14. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

I just gave it a test in my VMWare. On-Demand against 500 malware it detected none. On-Access against 20 malware the system cannot boot.

On another note Panda Cloud is detecting some of the files as Suspicious and as PUPs.

It's most likely a rogue.

15. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

You may try downloading Digital Patrol and make a scan
    http://www.nictasoft.com/products/digital-patrol/
    As it uses digital patrol's engine.

In my testing it detected as much as Digital Patrol did and it is not a rogue.

16. Cutting_Edgetech

Well, the lady wants to keep StopSign. She says its really good, and has blocked all kinds of attacks lol She's really stubborn, and believes she is very knowledgeable when it comes to PC security. I hope she is right because she has a lot of personal info on her PC like legal stuff, and banking.

17. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

More than likely it is just blocking false positives, I recently removed StopSign from my mother's computer, first I restored all files that it detected which was mostly Trojans. My mother thought it was blocking attacks also.

Installed Avast Free, updated and did a complete scan. Avast found nothing at all, so I scanned with several online scanners (Windows Live, ESET, Trend Micro Housecall, Symantec Security Check, Panda ActiveScan, F-Secure, BitDefender), Emsisoft, MBAM, Hitman Pro and Spybot S&D.

The only thing that was found was by MBAM and Spybot which was StopSign registry keys. All of these so-called Trojans detected by StopSign were just false positives.

So I have come to conclusion that StopSign is still a rogueware. Why it is not detected by other security products I couldn't tell you.

Here is the report for WOT- http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/stopsign.com

Thanks.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.