Stopped at the start...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pollyanna, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi dld,

I'm really not sure. I only know that, at the time of installing InCD 4.3.11.1, Windows XP's CD recording capabilty had been manually disabled. After completing the install and rebooting my PC, the Recording tab had disappeared and been replaced with the InCD tab. That made sense to me as I didn't see the need for two, possibly conflicting, packet writers running in parallel. Now I'm left wondering whether the Windows Recording tab should also be there :doubt:.

Perhaps someone else out there can confirm?

Regards

2. dld

dld Registered Member

I've booted my computer any number of times this morning and Windows Recording remains disabled. I have InCD.exe loading on boot. Yesterday I would have to manually disable Windows Recording. You figure it out.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dld,

Thank you for all the provided information. It looks like the problem requires deeper investigation.

If you want us to investigate the problem then I advice you to contact us via e-mail in the way I have described earlier.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. dld

dld Registered Member

Hi Alexey.. Although I am now able to create a bootable rescue disk after having blanked the disk using your instructions, and then booting into Safe mode, I would prefer being able to create such a disk using InCD QuickErase and using WinXP HE SP2 in regular mode. For this reason I am sending the scanbus.txt file and a link to this thread to acronis support.
    Thanks again for the excellent help you are providing. There are very few forums that I know of where you get this kind of help from professionals. You guys truly have the patience of Job!

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Well I decided to try and find out how, why or where my Windows Recording tab had disappeared.

Firstly, I created a current image and then restored a very old image containing InCD version 4.3.0.3. On opening "My Computer" and checking the "Properties" of my CD/DVD burner I saw that both the InCD tab and the Recording tab were present. Next, I updated InCD to version 4.3.14.1, rebooted and checked the burner's properties again. Guess what - both tabs were still visible o_O. This means that merely updating to InCD 4.3.11.1 or higher does not cause the Recording tab to disappear.

I then restored my latest image, uninstalled InCD completely using Nero's InCD-CleanTool and rebooted. Unfortunately, this didn't result in the reappearance of the Recording tab, which confirms that InCD didn't cause its disappearance in the first place. Re-installed InCD 4.3.14.1 and rebooted. As expected, only the InCD tab still visible.

Decided to run XQDC's X-Setup Pro to look at some of Windows' hidden registry tweaks/settings. Under "Hardware > CD-ROM/DVD > CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R/DVD-RW burning" I discovered that the "Allow built-in burning support" tickbox was unchecked. Ticked the box and rebooted. Lo and behold, on checking my burner's properties, I saw that the Recording tab had become visible again :D.

What does all this prove? Well, firstly, it proves my assumption (and subsequent statements in various threads) that installing InCD 4.3.11.1 or higher automatically disabled Windows XP's built-in CD/DVD recording feature was incorrect :oops:. Secondly, something (I have no idea what) got at my Windows registry and totally disabled Windows' built-in CD/DVD recording capabilty and removed the Recording tab :mad:.

Anyway, my sincere apologies to any TI Users who were misled by my, what now turns out to be incorrect, statement in previous threads. I just wish there was some way I could trawl back through them and set the record straight :'(.

Regards

6. dld

dld Registered Member

That's quite a bit of testing you've done. I would agree that InCD, up to the latest version 4.3.14.1 at least, does not disable Window XP's recording feature. It has to be done manually by going to My Computer\My Burner\Properties\Recording.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  7. Acronis Support

Hello dld,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us via e-mail. This will allows us to investigate the problem and help you with the solution. If you do not receive any response from Acronis Support Team within 48 hours please let me know your Acronis Request # which will be sent to you in autoreply. You can send me a PM with your Acronis Request # or post it in this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

8. dld

dld Registered Member

Could you explain how one goes about sending you a PM?

9. Acronis Support

Hello dld,

If you do not receive any response from Acronis Support Team you can let me know your Acronis Request # sending me PM. To send PM please click on the "Acronis Support" in the head of any of my replies and choose "Send a private message to Acronis Support" item.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.