Stop The Government Plan To Mine Our Privacy

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by GlobalForce, Aug 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Recent media reports have revealed that a little-known Defense Department office is developing a computer system called “Total Information Awareness” that threatens to turn us all into "suspects" without proof of criminal wrongdoing.

The system, which includes an advanced form of “data-mining,” would effectively provide government officials with immediate access to our personal information such as all of our communications (phone calls, emails and web searches), financial records, purchases, prescriptions, school records, medical records and travel history. Under this program, our entire lives would be catalogued and available to government officials.

A.C.L.U.

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Are they out of their mind!? :mad: We already have spyware, hackers and viruses which is already a huge burden and now the government wants to do this! We should have our own privacy. Our privacy is ours. Our privacy does not belong to anyone else. What right does the government have to invade our privacy?

3. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

None.

Of course, whatever dope thought this up would point out (wrongly) that "our right to privacy ain't in the Constitution"... :mad:

4. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Friends....none have loved this country more then i ............. as have many many generations of my family before me............. but the writing is on the wall and has been for a long time now :'( :'( :'(

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Does anyone know the time frame involved on all this? The ACLU page is not dated, so I can't tell how up to date it is. This page shows what appears to be rather newer developments since the early 2003 information, but it still ends in fall of 2003:

http://www.eff.org/Privacy/TIA/

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Wiretapping the Web

There is more info on the gov. and our privacy here

7. GlobalForce

Thanks for the link bigC.

The last major action on bill S.188 is at thomas.loc.gov (as far as I could pinpoint, 01/16/03).

I'll check some other advocate sites.

Sorry for the dated info (still not sure aclu date), LWM.

Fully Agreed.

GF

8. GlobalForce

9. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Thanks for the link, GF! Don't know why more people aren't concerned about all this!o_O
    I can think of a few countries that thought their government was totally right, right up until they started imprisoning and executing their citizens for what the year before was fine. Just because you aren't paranoid or worried, doesn't mean the government isn't worried about YOU!
    I agree with Rainwalker, hope is dwindling. :(

10. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

At the risk of being philosophical...

While we accept the principle that we somehow need leaders, we make ourselves followers. We don't seem able, as a species, to be able to refuse to lead, and - worse still - to follow. Even when we refuse to follow, we accept that punishment is due for our refusal. Madness.

Consensus is better than anarchy, and consensus is the only true form of democracy, but democracy fails when consensus is obligatory. This is the price, the loss, the penalty for being sociable without also being tolerant.

This is the heavy price we all pay for voting for people to think for us.

Your guarantees and warrantles are null and void the moment you put your mark on the ballot paper. Just be realistic about it.

Checkout.

11. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

CHECKY!!!!!!!

So nice to see you out and about.....thats just great?? An as always posting your insight in a very special way..........
    I am just here briefly....enjoying the sights......an a few smiles.....

Take good care....my very best regards.

TheSnowGuy/Snowman

12. steverio

steverio Registered Member

Privacy is always a good subject and pushes buttons!

I'm in agreement...the writing's been on the wall for a long time and...

Anybody who thinks they ever had real privacy are undoubtedly not being very mentally aware. Nothing much goes unnoticed in this world and this is making many people uncomfortable. One thing that is scary to me is that I think it is entirely possible that most people will choose to be surveilled thinking it could improve their way of life by making it a safer environment. These changes could make us into a society of "watched people". We have relied on technology so long that we have lost a great deal of personal privacy. But, we've also gained some things which makes it a "tricky issue".

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  13. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Believe you Yanks have such a law -
    U.S. Constitution: Fourth Amendment
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

14. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Then came that infamous day in September.

15. Marja

So, basically, those 13 criminals are getting what they wanted. The destruction of the "American" way of lifeo_O

What country will capitulate by "imprisoning" the lives of their citizens next?

Something is sooo wrong about that...............o_O

I like your consensus statement, Checky, can I use it as a sig some time?

Marja8(

16. Checkout

That's a real compliment. With pleasure, and thanks.

17. luketan

luketan Guest

Which government are you talking about? The American one, or yours? :p

18. Checkout

There's a difference? 8(

19. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:rolleyes: i dont know if i should care anymore i think we do this to ourselfs

nobody votes or makes an effort where to few that are smart to know when where geting screwed

most of us dont vote and of few of us dont do anything but wine about it and when the days over they when

where lazy ass sheep

how many of you register at the betamax thing in tenford

pthhhhhhhhhhhhh pleas

every one bend over and take it with out lube

you want to do something make a website with all the powerful people

get there cell phone numbers get there e-mail adress get there bank statements get every damn thing private numbers and start calling them and writeing them and e-mailing them if they live near you walk up to there door or lol prtest in front of there house

put all there personal life on a website all congress all of them

see how they like every one have there personal life on a web site

20. Marja

You have something there, Blazey, just what I am not sure, but, why shouldn't the ones who want to be boss have to expose their every move too?
    LOL! Must have been dreaming!! :)

21. smiddy

smiddy Registered Member

Now wait a second isnt it that if a normal person spys on you like this its against the law but if the goverment does it they think its perfectlly fine well i think the goverment thinks they have there own set of rules obviouslly

22. Marja

Well, of course they do! If we spied on them, we would be stalkers, spies or terrorists, take your pick!

This is kinda off the subject, but, what would you call the "photographers" who follow stars around, cause them to crash, fight or just protect their families?

They seem to have all the law on their side, "freedom of the press",and I hear no one saying differento_O So, my freedom should be decided by some stars' night out on the town or choice of dress??

That really could set a precedent, I guess? Pretty poor one.:(

Does any one really want to know all that stuff? For what purpose?

Just wondering outloud! :)

23. Jackfox

Jackfox Guest

His might be worse :)

24. Checkout

I've given a great deal of thought to this.

Since recorded time, we, as a species, as a race growing to reach fulfilment, have held in awe and respect those who have suffered, argued, and even died, to bring us all our few basic Human Rights. Even now, in the 21st Century, little more than a small percentage of us are privileged to enjoy them, and the luxury of thinking independently.

Never have so many owed so much to so few... How prophetic are Sir Winston Churchill's words now.

It has taken all our History to achieve what we can lose in moments if fail to think for ourselves. We will never live long enough to regain it.

Should we fear those we fear who fear our freedoms more than those whom we trust who fear our freedoms?

25. The_Usernameless_H

The_Usernameless_H Registered Member

I always remember that government officers are human too. They are quite capable of blackmail and other malicious use of your personal information. Besides, in the UK (and elsewhere, I bet) they already sell census data to spammers and anyone else who wants it (admittedly it is sold anonymously but the data can be easily cross-referenced online to find its originator), and so trusting the US and UK governments with further personal data is like, well, trusting them with a huge stock of WMD that they could use to annihilate mankind.

Damn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.