Stop it!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Gregg_DesElms, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It seems like every time I go to update Spyware Blaster I get the message that there's a new update, but it can't be downloaded via the updater and that I have to go to the web site and download the entire package and manually re-install it.

Either stop releasing entirely new versions so damned often, or take a page from just about every other spyware and/or anti-virus/anti-worm software package I'm aware of: Make it so once you have a version installed on your machine, you never have to manually re-install again. Make it so once a good version is installed, both incremental updates or database files AS WELL AS full version updates can all be downloaded and auto-installed via the updater. Even cheapo freeware anti-virus software makers like AVG understand the importance of that. Sometimes when I update AVG it downloads a little virus definition file update; and once in a while it downloads a 2, 4 or even 6 MB monster update -- which, after auto-installing, I can see was both a definition file update AS WELL AS a full version update. At least AVG gets it: Install once and never manually re-install again. Update EVERYTHING through the updater.

I've got your software installed on a number of client machines and I'm starting to get emails from them complaining that every time they turn around they're having to manually download and install Spyware Blaster. They're sick of it and are asking me if it's okay to remove it.

Get a clue, folks. No matter how good your software is, if you make it a pain in the ass to own, you lose your users. Simple as that.

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI Greg....

Well, I see that as being a bit unfair, don't you think. This is a one man show, and he is trying to not only improve databases, but also the program itself.

Sure, it may be convenient to have a dl built-in to overwrite a complete new remake, but the thing is, this program works entirely different than an AV.

First, its a "passive" install, does not run RTM as such, once the killbits are set in the Registry you forget about it, apart from updating the databases.

It does NOT scan anything, so by that definition alone, makes it different.

If a new program was to be dl'd over top, I am sure there would be conflicts purely by the fact of the "killbits" being installed by an older version.

Old program has to first uninstall the killbits, install new program, reinstall the killbits. Not like an AV whereby the engine may be updated itself during a download.

Well, that's my take on it. :D

Cheers, TAS

3. ReallyTruly?

ReallyTruly? Guest

And, its up to 2.14 MB now!

You don't have to update just because the software auther does, I suppose. I never update anything when the software auther gets on the ball and fixes stuff when I'm not ready for them to do so.

Does this mean you bought AVG Pro? In addition, does this mean you will not be buying SWB pro? Oh, I suppose you could always just download some other free program that does the same thing as SpywareBlaster. Of course, since Blaster has upset you so, I'm sure you'll be willing to pay for an equivalent program that updates EVERYTHING through the updater. I'll go look for one right now!

They must only "turn around" once ever few months? On the other hand, maybe they keep downloading the new app but forget to uninstall the old version and install the new one. That would cause the continued notification of an update being needed. I am pretty sure you would be much better off with spyware-laden machines then to be downloading the proper updates that fix any incompatabilities, etc the application author has developed.

again, such colorful language. Let me know what app you buy as replacement, I might grab the same one.

4. Amerk_5

Amerk_5 Registered Member

Except with SB you have to update to the next version because all you'll get when you run the updater is the message that a new version is available.

5. steveUK

steveUK Guest

it aint exactly that often that it needs re-downloading anyway (only recently) thereafter probably rarley. most people arent bothered by it, their more interested in maintaining security, like ie-spyads, even more lengthy process of installation, but its very popular. I very rarely get any spyware now, thats FAR more important to me and to most people.

you should be glad your clients didnt pay big bucks for it, alot of freeware is not for multiple user/business use anyway!!!!

you can try commercial products that may be more automatic, cost alot and probably not do the job aswell.

6. JemW

JemW Registered Member

Gregg,

I'm a little mystified by your attitude - and your experiences. Firstly, version updates haven't been that frequent since this new 3.x release and all other updates are incremental, so I'm surprised that you and your 'users' are finding that it's such a pain.

Very little software is perfect, but in terms of it's effectiveness at blocking Spyware & Malware SB is currently the best product out there - in my humble opinion (...maybe not so humble, I've tested many so-called solutions to the problem including the expensive, bloated 'stop you from doing a dammed thing on the web' - Lavasoft AdAware Professional...sorry, had to get that one in there!)

Also, as a previous writer has said, this is pretty much a one-man show and SB is FREE!! Oh...good point, last writer has made - you are obviously a business user making complaints about a genuine, non-profit making software author who no doubt will make efforts to address the wider world of commerce when he has the time and the funding - hmmm...I have a suggestion Gregg - You have correctly observed that SB is a good product and, ‘Yes’, it does VERY much matter how good it is by the way - absolutely the bottom line in the world of virus and malware detection. So...why not make a donation of some substance to enable Javacool to continue and enhance his good work!!! Maybe then you'd encourage JC to consider adding the convenience of completely automatic updates - thus enhancing the current paid for definition auto update service, to go with the peace of mind that you should currently be enjoying in terms of 'effective protection'.

Personally, I recommend making polite 'improvement suggestions' to this particular author, as above, who is not a bloated (...there's that word again!) organization trying to sell the world rubbish software that's is FREQUENTLY hard to use, ineffective and overpriced.

My own experince is that SB is one of the most straightforward pieces of 'serious software' around. As I said, it's free and uses none of my precious machine resource which I'd rather put to better use anyway. Far from losing users, Gregg, I very much believe that JC is gaining them and I personally wish him all the best for the future. I would be dismayed to see Javacool leave this space.

Have a great day, JW :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.